Jim's Beer Kit

Practical Homebrewing

Hello from Northampton

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.

Hello from Northampton

Postby ralph60 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:33 am

Hello Chaps,
relatively new to brewing about a year now. The Wife bought me a Coopers kit last Christmas the fool :). I have kit brewed lager about 5 times using pet bottles with limited success, they have all been consistent, strong but flatish and a bit yeasty (I don't pour the whole bottle out). I am waiting for a keg I now have to finish in about a month to see if that is any better. I get a bit confused with all the stuff on line as to how to do it properly, hopefully you can help me. I know it's not rocket science but am getting increasingly frustrated with my efforts. I have a thousand questions, alright, maybe ten or so as to what I'm doing wrong but I'll save them for later.
Cheers (raising one of my flat yeasty pints)
ralph60
Sober

Re: Hello from Northampton

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:37 am

Welcome Ralph! :)

I'm sure we can help you improve your beer.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter
JBK Newsletter Archive!
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Secla » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:28 pm

A lot of kit lagers come with ale yeast as lager yeast needs to be used at lower temperatures ! Check what yeasts is coming from the kit and it's ideal temp range. Does the kit suggest how much sugar to use for carbonation ?

I'm from Kettering so quite local but brew all grain.
Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Postby ralph60 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks Secla,
I'll check the yeast next time, that's something, I didn't know there was a difference.
I say that they have always been flat, there is a bit of fizz but the head goes quickly and you can almost count the bubbles as they go up the glass.
I have always used Coopers carbonation drops apart from once when I used normal sugar, 1 tsp per bottle.
The fermenting part I have only ever used 1kg of normal sugar and at 18-22 deg (room temp) with the bin covered with a towel.
Any advise is much appreciated.
ralph60
Sober

Postby Frothy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Im from wellingborough originally, I recommend "copper kettle" at Burton Latimer. Really good brew shop and will be able to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
The JAM Brewery Blog http://www.BrewJAM.co.uk
Frothy
Under the Table

Postby Fil » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:11 pm

+1 for the Copper Kettle brewshop, ive only delt with them via the phone and email but sound people and its run by an enthusiastic knowledgable friendly brewer.

for lager the original pet bottles are probably the better option than a pressure barrel, lagers are generally much more highly conditioned (fizzy) and bottles can contain much higher pressures to contain the condition than pressure barrels can, pressure barrels tend to be limited to 10-12 psi while pet bottles can contain pressures like 99psi. pbs are best suited to serving ales and bitters with a low to medium level of condition.

the condition a beer contains depends on 1) how much co2 is available (priming charge) and 2) the temperature of the beer cold beer will absorb a higher volume of co2.
(perhaps you beer was conditioned ok but served too cold??)

i would suggest bottling lagers and perhaps using 2 x carbonation drops per bottle the priming charge is what feeds the production of the co2 that provides the condition, more sugar= more co2, and a pet bottle WILL contain the pressure where a pressure barrel would simply vent the excess pressure.. iirc carbonation drops are 3g of sucrose? and a 6g priming charge per 500ml isnt excessive, google will spit out page after page of priming charge calculator tool links, If you find/use one that asks for beer temperature, enter the highest temp the beer reached during the last few days of primary fermentation.

I would also suggest you practice a glugless pour from your bottles as to minimise the disturbance of the sediment, your beers are a live product and you depend on the yeast to condition the beer in the bottle or barrel,sso sediment is inevitable. And dont worry about leaving an inch of beer with the sediment, its not a waste if your pouring a clearer glass to sup ;) and you have a few more...

lastly.. honest ;) keeping the brew at a nice stable temperature at the lower end of the range of temps the yeast is recommended to thrive at, is probably the easiest way to effect a significant positive impact..

ps welcome ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(
Fil
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Return to Guestbook