Jim's Beer Kit

Practical Homebrewing

Hello from Northampton

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.

Hello from Northampton

Postby ralph60 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:33 am

Hello Chaps,
relatively new to brewing about a year now. The Wife bought me a Coopers kit last Christmas the fool :). I have kit brewed lager about 5 times using pet bottles with limited success, they have all been consistent, strong but flatish and a bit yeasty (I don't pour the whole bottle out). I am waiting for a keg I now have to finish in about a month to see if that is any better. I get a bit confused with all the stuff on line as to how to do it properly, hopefully you can help me. I know it's not rocket science but am getting increasingly frustrated with my efforts. I have a thousand questions, alright, maybe ten or so as to what I'm doing wrong but I'll save them for later.
Cheers (raising one of my flat yeasty pints)
ralph60
Sober

Re: Hello from Northampton

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:37 am

Welcome Ralph! :)

I'm sure we can help you improve your beer.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter
JBK Newsletter Archive!
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Secla » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:28 pm

A lot of kit lagers come with ale yeast as lager yeast needs to be used at lower temperatures ! Check what yeasts is coming from the kit and it's ideal temp range. Does the kit suggest how much sugar to use for carbonation ?

I'm from Kettering so quite local but brew all grain.
Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Postby ralph60 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks Secla,
I'll check the yeast next time, that's something, I didn't know there was a difference.
I say that they have always been flat, there is a bit of fizz but the head goes quickly and you can almost count the bubbles as they go up the glass.
I have always used Coopers carbonation drops apart from once when I used normal sugar, 1 tsp per bottle.
The fermenting part I have only ever used 1kg of normal sugar and at 18-22 deg (room temp) with the bin covered with a towel.
Any advise is much appreciated.
ralph60
Sober

Return to Guestbook