Jim's Beer Kit

Practical Homebrewing

jerusalem artichoke beer

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.

jerusalem artichoke beer

Postby Rockridge » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Hello i'm Keith from Kinver, has anyone brewed beer from jerusalem artichokes i can't seem to find anything on it somebody somewhere must have done it would love to know...thanks
Rockridge
Sober

Re: jerusalem artichoke beer

Postby Jim » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 am

Welcome Keith. :)

Jerusalem artichokes? Can't say I've ever heard of beer being produced from them, but let's see if anyone else has!
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter
JBK Newsletter Archive!
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Trefoyl » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:22 pm

Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.
Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Postby Rockridge » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Thank you so much for the reply well come September 2017 i will be digging them up as i have a load of them growing every year and apart from making chip's and soup out of them i thought what else is there...yes beer..and why not, i'm still 'extract brewing' at the moment but i will be moving to 'grain brewing' around November (yes again 2004) i'll let you know how i get on thanks for the info.... (Rockridge) Keith...Kinver South Staffordshire.
Rockridge
Sober

Postby donchiquon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:00 am

Hi Keith. Crikey, that's an interesting idea. I hope they induce less flatulence in a beer than they do on a plate! :)
donchiquon
Piss Artist

Postby Rockridge » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Hello, this what i have found out so far Jerusalem Artichokes are not true artichokes. They are related to sunflowers (girasole in Italian), and their name is an anglicisation of girasole artichoke. The root tastes good and contains a high proportion of inulin, a carbohydrate which is sweet in taste but impossible to digest. The bacteria that live inside us love it though, and produce various gases i wonder if that will carry on into the beer...i think i'll call this beer 'Stand by for blast-off'
Rockridge
Sober

Postby donchiquon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:03 pm

....I think you might need to hone your sales pitch on it a bit!
donchiquon
Piss Artist

Postby Wonkydonkey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Rockridge wrote:Hello, this what i have found out so far Jerusalem Artichokes are not true artichokes. They are related to sunflowers (girasole in Italian), and their name is an anglicisation of girasole artichoke. The root tastes good and contains a high proportion of inulin, a carbohydrate which is sweet in taste but impossible to digest. The bacteria that live inside us love it though, and produce various gases i wonder if that will carry on into the beer...i think i'll call this beer 'Stand by for blast-off'

L

Umm, Yeh I think I could agree with that statement, they do grow a little,like or should I say tall like sunflowers, but no flowers!!.. And yep they make your back donor blow like a trombone :oops: :shock: :shock: ,
To Busy To Add,
Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Postby Rockridge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello Wonkydonkey, And yep they make your back donor blow like a trombone....that did make me laugh, you are so right, if you entered a competition you would come first as 2nd place would not come close, the bad news is got to wait till late October/Novermber (after frost) before i can get going on the beer side...got to be done...or die laughing
Rockridge
Sober

Return to Guestbook