Old Beers & Brewing

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
EddtheBrew
Sober

Old Beers & Brewing

Post by EddtheBrew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:03 am

Hi All ,
I'm a brewer and brewing historian, currently working on a book on old beers & brewing; I've got quite a few recipies , mostly from the north of England , but a few from Burton, Scotland and London if any members are interested, drop me a message and I'd be happy to send some out !!
Breweries include :
Allsopp's , Boddingtons , Cornbrook , Chester Northgate, Greenall's (St Helens) , Magee Marshall , Walker's of Warrington (up to 1924) , Henry Bentley & Co. ( Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries) , Tetley's and quite a few others !!
Cheers ,
Edd

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Old Beers & Brewing

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:38 am

Welcome to JBK Edd. :)

Sounds like a great project you're working on - I'm sure JBK members will be very interested in those recipes!
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter
JBK Newsletter Archive!

orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:42 am

For my 21st I was bought shares in Greenalls so would be interested in a Bitter recipe, any idea of what yeast would work?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: Black Dog, Equinoxe
Conditioning: St. Petersburg (RIS)
Drinking: Golden Years, Mrs Worthington (White Shield Clone)
Up Next: London Calling, Gertcherbrewed
Planning: Winter drinking beer.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 am

orlando wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:42 am
For my 21st I was bought shares in Greenalls so would be interested in a Bitter recipe, any idea of what yeast would work?
I'd be interested in that too. You never see the name here any more, and to be honest they didn't have a very good reputation the last few decades they were brewing. I'm sure earlier times would have been different.
Best wishes

Dave

EddtheBrew
Sober

Post by EddtheBrew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi all ,
the only Greenall' s recipies that I've got are from the Hall St , St Helens brewery which closed down Ca 1972 , which was always recconed to be the better of the two breweries that Greenalls owned (rather than taken over by) mine are from the 1780's & 1862-4 period , only three basic types , Strong Ale , Porter & Bitter Beer , all at least 1- 1.5% abv north of 5% !,
I'm not sure what system you're all using , so I'll pop the recipies into a % of grist , and IBU requirements along with mashing etc recommendations , not sure of how to upload docs to this forum , but I'd be happy to email them out , my address is : eddmather9@gmail.com,
Cheers ,
Edd

orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:35 pm

If you're willing to copy and paste into a post or send by PM. Mine is a 3V set up grist % is fine and any info on water treatment would be ideal. 1862-64 sounds realistic. Porter and or Bitter.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: Black Dog, Equinoxe
Conditioning: St. Petersburg (RIS)
Drinking: Golden Years, Mrs Worthington (White Shield Clone)
Up Next: London Calling, Gertcherbrewed
Planning: Winter drinking beer.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:18 pm

orlando wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:35 pm
If you're willing to copy and paste into a post or send by PM. Mine is a 3V set up grist % is fine and any info on water treatment would be ideal. 1862-64 sounds realistic. Porter and or Bitter.
It would be good to see some of these recipes.

EddtheBrew
Sober

Post by EddtheBrew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi All ,
I`ll copy and paste the 1860`s Greenall`s Hall St stuff : Bitter Beer and Porter in the next few days , and Ill be popping an Archibald Arroll 60/- Pale Ale up there as well (2 versions ) which I transcribed from a brewers report on the Alloa brewery for a shareholder (Col Walker , of Walker`s of Warrington) by Robert Hutton in 1916 ; the original recipie , as brewed when Hutton visited , and his reccomendations as to the improvement of the 60/- Pale .
I`ve only got some Drybrough , Robert Younger and a couple of Maclay`s records which I haven`t gone into much as yet , but here`s a nice Magee Marshall Government Ale from 1917 to whet everyone`s whistle ; happy mashing guys !!

Magee`s
Government Ale
OG 38.5 FG 7.5 ABV 3.7%
Malt ;
Maris Otter 90 %
Cane Sugar (White / Golden) 10 % @ C/up + 75-80 mins
Hops ; IBU COPPER : 1.5 Hours
East Kents 17 (1ST Charge, @ +30 / 1.028
Bramling X 14 (2Nd Charge , @ + 70 / 1.033- 1.034 ,
allow 15 mis @ the end of the boil before adding the hop back / stand hops
8% of the whole Hops weight ( 50/50) to stand hops (1/2 hr stand)
Dry Hop 1 oz per barrel (east kents) (Wood)
½ g per 5 L (Metal / Plastic
Mash Directions Ratio : 2.620L/kg Mash In
1.610 L/kg Underlet
Mash Temp: 150f , RAISE TO 154 f @ + 30
Mash Length : 1 ¾ Hours
Sparge Temp : 165-6 f (START AT appx 1:55 HRS )Ratio : 3.616L/KG

PITCHING & FERMENTATION ;
Pitch with 1.75 g per litre , then drop to second fv after 1/3 of the projected gravity loss , re pitch with 1.5 g per litre .
Temperatures ; Pitch: 59 f , Top Heat : 64-66f (@ drop to 2Nd vessel), cool to 64 f in 2nd fv .
Rousing: every 6 - 8 Hours after pitch , until dropped to 2 nd vessel , then every 12 hours until 1.013 (stopping gravity, cool to say 10 f below pitching.
ALLOW A 2 DAY DIACETYL REST @ 54 – 55 F BEFORE RACKING @- 1.009.5

(prime up a minimum of @ 24 hours before racking off to 1.010.5 )
Maturation : Mature @ 54 F for two weeks , then serve & enjoy!!
WATER TREATMENT : A Burton water profile would , be the most suitable for this beer .
Yeast Strain : Any northern English type , Lancs / Yorks (NOT A Yorks Sq strain though) which is capable of getting down to 1.007 ½

Return to “Guestbook”