North Eastern Brewer Here

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
itsbedo
Tippler

North Eastern Brewer Here

Post by itsbedo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:41 am

Hi All,

I've been brewing for a little over a year now, and have just finished upgrading my garage to a home brew kingdom (In my eyes at least).
I started brewing with all grain, having never brewed before and I'm fairly happy with the results.

Tried a Coopers extract kit once, didn't work in my favour, I'll stick to the all grain I think

Anyway, 5 more posts to go before I can ask someone about Corny kegs I seen were for sale :)

Jim
Site Admin

Re: North Eastern Brewer Here

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:59 am

Welcome itsbedo! :)

What's your brewing setup at the moment?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter
JBK Newsletter Archive!

itsbedo
Tippler

Post by itsbedo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Thanks Jim,

I've got a 30l Klarstien mash kettle, several fermentation bins, and I use aquarium heaters for temperature control during fermentation.
I've also got a second fridge which I use for lagering, I've made 3 lager brews so far. Drinkable, but still not quite right.

My missus won't let me brew in the house, I'm thinking eventually of getting a sink installed in the garage so I no longer have to mess up the kitchen during the brew.

For dispensing, I've recently set up a kegerator, with 2 corneys, but there is room for 3 in total including the CO2, so I'm after another...
I had a bit of a nightmare sourcing CO2 in the North East England, but got myself a nice 6kg canister eventuallly which will apparently last 100 gallons.

I've also got dozens of Grolsh bottles in crates courtesy of being an ex employee of an establishment that sold them :)

Igeorge1986
Sober

Post by Igeorge1986 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi,

I'm new here too. Not done a brew yet but bought a northern brewer starter kit and a klarstein mash tun and kettle. Looking forward.to getting started when I move into my new house and have a garage to brew in.

itsbedo
Tippler

Post by itsbedo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi igeorge, you've made the right choice with the Klarstien I think,
Eventually I'll be getting a grain father, but a little out of my price range at the minute.
Garage is a perfect man cave to allow you to brew with no hassle too

Igeorge1986
Sober

Post by Igeorge1986 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi itsbedo,

Which websites would you recommend or LHBS based in the north east to buy receipe kits from?

itsbedo
Tippler

Post by itsbedo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:59 pm

The only local shop for me selling grains would be the hop and grape in Darlington, but I usually buy from www.themaltmiller.co.uk.
Wilko and Boyes are normally good for some things too, more brewing equipment than ingredients though

bi0
Tippler

Post by bi0 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Igeorge1986 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm
Which websites would you recommend or LHBS based in the north east to buy receipe kits from?
Not quite ready made kits, but there's a few places I know of...

There's a great shop called "Home Brew Life" in Felling, Gateshead: https://www.facebook.com/HomeBrewLife/

There's another I know of, but not used, in Whitley Bay called Elderberry: https://www.elderberryhomebrew.com/

You can get some great prices on Malt & Hops from Tyne Bank Brewery - Just give Adam Brewer a nudge via the North East Homebrew Club group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Sean

Igeorge1986
Sober

Post by Igeorge1986 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Cheers Sean,

I'll give home brew life a visit at some point as I'm based.in Hebburn not far away. I didn't realise Tyne bank sold ingredients. I've never visited the tap room there so I'll have to pop over there one weekend.

bi0
Tippler

Post by bi0 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Yeah, there's a regular monthly homebrew club meetup at Tyne Bank that Adam organises. If you want any ingredients, you just need to give him a nudge first a day or so in advance.

I've had a couple of 25kg bags of crushed malt for £18 each from them so far :-)

itsbedo
Tippler

Post by itsbedo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:45 pm

£18 each! I think it's worth a trip up there from Stockton. I have no idea where to find a container that big though

orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:23 am

Try eBay .
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: Duke Of Jarl (Reprise)
Conditioning: St. Petersburg (RIS)
Drinking: Distant Sun, Almost Gold, Closer To The Edge (Elgood's North Brink Porter)
Up Next: Mild In The Country, London Calling, Gertcherbrewed
Planning: Spring drinking beer.

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 am

If you have a local re-cycling centre you might be able to get a wheelie bin gratis from them. These work really well as a grain store, I've got 2.

itsbedo
Tippler

Post by itsbedo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Thanks for the ebay link Orlando, think I'll pick one up. I've heard crushed grain lasts around 6 month. Ive been buying in 4-5kg packs depending on the brews, makes sense to buy in bulk

orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 am

itsbedo wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:39 pm
I've heard crushed grain lasts around 6 month.
That long, well I never. :oops:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: Duke Of Jarl (Reprise)
Conditioning: St. Petersburg (RIS)
Drinking: Distant Sun, Almost Gold, Closer To The Edge (Elgood's North Brink Porter)
Up Next: Mild In The Country, London Calling, Gertcherbrewed
Planning: Spring drinking beer.

Return to “Guestbook”