Brewed a beer (ditch’s stout) and it got too bloody hot!

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
Tommykear
Sober

Brewed a beer (ditch’s stout) and it got too bloody hot!

Post by Tommykear » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi guys!!
This is my first post on here. I am a medical student with a love for brewing dark beers in my halls of residence :)

So i started a ditch’s stout batch (coopers stout kit, 1kg of medium DME and a mug of soft brown cane sugar) after reading a massive amount of positive feedbacks for this brew. Sadly a couple of days in and this heat wave hit. I removed the tank heater that was in the fv and kept an eye on the temp but sadly i could not keep the fv temp lower than 24 C which is just mental!!

I decided not to ditch and just deal with what has happened. I bottled as normal with 80grams of soft brown cane sugar in the 20L fv.

Its been a week since bottling and i was intrigued. I opened one last night and poured it out, leaving the yeasty dreg in the bottle) it poured with good fizz but had no head retention at all. Theres carbonation in the beer and the beer has a rich medicine-like taste.
Can anyone help me with what to do? Or the error of this?
I do not use chlorine based sterilising agents and everything that goes near the fv is sterile so i believe the temp is to blame.
Would conditioning in the bottle help?
Or cold bathing (dont know the correct term) some coffee to mask the flavour?
Or is it a chuck away job?

Thanks for your help :) this is my 3rd brew and none have turned out great yet :(

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Brewed a beer (ditch’s stout) and it got too bloody hot!

Post by Jim » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi Tommy, 24C isn't that hot for some yeasts but might account for the rather odd flavours you're getting. Lower temperatures get a more neutral flavour out of the yeast, though each yeast strain has its own unique flavour characteristics, so a bit on the cool side is better than a bit on the warm side if you don't like your beers too fruity. Sometimes the flavour can mellow a bit in storage.

In general variation in temperature is your main enemy, as yeast likes consistency.

Incidentally, thanks for confirming my mental stereotype of medical students brewing booze in their dorms. :)
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter
JBK Newsletter Archive!

EddtheBrew
Piss Artist

Post by EddtheBrew » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi Jim & Tommykear,
I've seen temperatures at 75-6°F in the attenuation records of some old brewers !! , so no big problems on a high Gravity beer , on a session beer ( normal yeast) it would be about 4-5°c too warm and that's the point where it starts to get 'interesting' , depending on the style !! .
Cheers
Edd
"It was a woman who drove me to drink and I forgot to write and thank her ". W. C Fields

Tommykear
Sober

Post by Tommykear » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:03 am

Thanks guys!

So the SG was 1.042 when is started and at the end 1.014 where stayed here constantly for 3 days before i bottled it. This is how i judge the state of fermentation.

Jim, sadly i think i’m the only one in this school to home brew =\ but we are vet students so maybe human medics are more into it.

I’ll have to give this recipe another go once the temp drops and then i’ll see if it’s the main variable or if theres something else

What are your thought on masking the flavour with cold soaking coffee in the beer if i move it all back to a sterilised fv?
Thanks again guys :)

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:46 am

Tommy,
If you have already bottled the Beer, why would you want to put it back in the FV?
Leave the bottles 2wks warm, then 2wks cool, then taste.
If you feel you need to add Coffee, just do it by the pint. The beer might come good as it ages.
Your beer will be approx 3.8%. That seems low for a Coopers Stout. Did you follow the instructions to the letter?

WA

Happy Brewing.
Get another Brew on ASAP! :D

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 am

As WA said, don't take it out of the bottles now - that's a sure fire way to ruin it with no way back.

At this point time is your friend. Give it a couple of weeks and then try it again.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:38 am

I used to get a medicine like taste in my beers, not really strong but noticable to make it a bit unpleasent. At the time i took it to be my very hard tap water that i was using (untreated). I switched to tesco ashbeck bottled water and that medicine taste went away. My brewing/sanitation methods never changed so i was happy with the beer.

I have since fitted a permanent water filter and tap next to my sink that i now use for my brewing water (still untreated apart from the filtering) and the medicine taste is still not there, so again i am happy with the beers i am producing.

Give tesco ashbeck water a try. Lots of people use it as brewing water.

Robwalkeragain
Steady Drinker

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:58 am

Yea medicine points to chlorine for me too. Just stand your water overnight with a crushed campden tablet in. Unfortunately no way to remove it once it's there, so call it a duff batch. Mayaswell wait and see if it goes away though.

Kingfisher4
Steady Drinker

Post by Kingfisher4 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:09 am

Jim wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Incidentally, thanks for confirming my mental stereotype of medical students brewing booze in their dorms. :)
Hi Jim,
Just to confirm that stereotype; I was one of several medical students (way back in the 80s) who brewed beer in their hall of residence!!

We drank it, but it eventually put me off with it's tcp like twang. Friends brewing with our untreated Birmingham tap water had the same taste / issue back then which put us off completely, but some of the same friends when brewing with the same kits at their home away from Brum during holidays didn't suffer the twang! The benefit of hindsight suggests this was probably chlorination /chloramines in the Birmingham tap water.

After decades away I have started AG brewing this year and treat my tap water to try to optimise minerals and especially pH for the mash. Just set up the GF on its timer to start tomorrow lunchtime. Salts and a tablet of campden added, not had an issue with tcp taste at all since starting brewing again.

Robwalkeragain
Steady Drinker

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:06 am

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:09 am
Jim wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi Jim,
Just to confirm that stereotype; I was one of several medical students (way back in the 80s) who brewed beer in their hall of residence!!

We drank it, but it eventually put me off with it's tcp like twang. Friends brewing with our untreated Birmingham tap water had the same taste / issue back then which put us off completely, but some of the same friends when brewing with the same kits at their home away from Brum during holidays didn't suffer the twang! The benefit of hindsight suggests this was probably chlorination /chloramines in the Birmingham tap water.

After decades away I have started AG brewing this year and treat my tap water to try to optimise minerals and especially pH for the mash. Just set up the GF on its timer to start tomorrow lunchtime. Salts and a tablet of campden added, not had an issue with tcp taste at all since starting brewing again.
I use the same water. There's not much chloramine but it's usually full of free chlorine - try running a bath and see what you can smell!
Without a doubt, there's no getting away with it here - it needs to be removed.

Tommykear
Sober

Post by Tommykear » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:37 pm

[quote=chefgage post_id=835099 time=1531381098 user_id=15330]
I used to get a medicine like taste in my beers, not really strong but noticable to make it a bit unpleasent. At the time i took it to be my very hard tap water that i was using (untreated). I switched to tesco ashbeck bottled water and that medicine taste went away. My brewing/sanitation methods never changed so i was happy with the beer.

I have since fitted a permanent water filter and tap next to my sink that i now use for my brewing water (still untreated apart from the filtering) and the medicine taste is still not there, so again i am happy with the beers i am producing.

Give tesco ashbeck water a try. Lots of people use it as brewing water.
[/quote]

I used ashbeck!!! I’m just going to leave it and give it some time! Hopefully it will show me some love and get better

Tommykear
Sober

Post by Tommykear » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:43 pm

[quote=WalesAles post_id=835073 time=1531291569 user_id=11842]
Tommy,
If you have already bottled the Beer, why would you want to put it back in the FV?
Leave the bottles 2wks warm, then 2wks cool, then taste.
If you feel you need to add Coffee, just do it by the pint. The beer might come good as it ages.
Your beer will be approx 3.8%. That seems low for a Coopers Stout. Did you follow the instructions to the letter?

WA

Happy Brewing.
Get another Brew on ASAP! :D
[/quote]
Yeah i followed ditch’s post to the letter
It just went wrong :(
I would blame my sanitisation method but its not not been present for the other beers and the other thing that has changed is the mad temperatures
I might try it again and see what happens
Cheers fells

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:01 pm

[quote
Yeah i followed ditch’s post to the letter
It just went wrong :(
I would blame my sanitisation method but its not not been present for the other beers and the other thing that has changed is the mad temperatures
I might try it again and see what happens
Cheers fells
[/quote]

Tommy,
What is your sanitation process? Are you using a 1/2 Campden tablet as well to treat the water? (I always forget mine) #-o .
I make my Coopers Stout in this heat and never have a problem. It is Bomb Proof! :D
I haven`t used a heater for Years and the Beer is still good.
After Brewing, FV in the front room, FV in a Trug, loose lid, no airlock, old cats` blanket thrown over to keep it warm.
Never fails.

WA

Have you got the other Brew on yet?

Tommykear
Sober

Post by Tommykear » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:21 pm

I use youngs steriliser and cleaner. Its a powder that i use 3-4 teaspoons to 10L and let it soak my bucket and all equipment for 10 mins then rinse loads with fresh water!
I dont use campden tabs =\ have i dropped a clanger?
Cheers
Tommy