Munich Malt

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Munich Malt

Post by robbarwell » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:15 am

Hi All,

Ive never really used Munich Malt, what benefits do you get when brewing a pale?

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Munich Malt

Post by Beer O'Clock » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:56 am

Slight colour effect and a maltier flavour.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:19 am

in larger amounts it will contribute some good red colouring.

koomber

Post by koomber » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:28 am

You need to be careful and check which Munich you get as I'm sure the Tom Fawcett stuff is significantly different to the Weyerman's.

That being said, I've used 100% of the German stuff to make a Scotch Ale. Was very tasty.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:02 am

It shifts the colour towards golden and ups the maltiness a little, but in a nice way, not an aggressive way. I use a killo with 4-5kg of pale malt.

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: Munich Malt

Post by zgoda » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Dark Munich malt imparts unpleasant grassy flavour if used in larger quantities. I'd say 500 gms is safe for 23 ltr but 1 kg is not. This fades with time leaving super malty beer, but I've had bock that was hardly drinkable after 8 months.

Ben711200

Post by Ben711200 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 pm

I was going to start a new topic but thought I'd add it here instead..

I've made a couple beers recently that used Munich. One as 40% of the grain bill and one as about 16%. Both of these beers have ended up with a taste I'm not too keen on and I'm wondering if it is the Munich that's done it. Sort of a raw, grainy, bready flavour. Almost nutty, but not in a pleasant way.

I used different strains of yeast and they were different recipes. I'd be grateful if someone could advise whether what I'm tasting is likely to be the Munich? If so, I'll leave it out of future recipes.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:17 am

Ben711200 wrote: wondering if it is the Munich that's done it. Sort of a raw, grainy, bready flavour. Almost nutty, but not in a pleasant way.
I frequently use Weyermann Light Munich and I would characterise its contributions to be ones of nuttiness and very full malt taste and aroma. For me these are welcome additions that assist in the playing off of the high alpha acid hops :beer:

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:40 am

I've used UK Munich malt at around 10% of grist and it adds a bit of malty smoothness and is a bit darker than MO so will darken a pale ale a little. Use it where you want to up the malt flavour. I will be trying a higher % at some point. Not used Weyerman Munich I or II, but they are both different from the UK version, and from each other, I believe.

Ben711200

Post by Ben711200 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:36 pm

It was UK Munich that I have been using (Don't know who supplies it to The Malt Miller, but it was that stuff).

I think I know what I've done. When I think 'more malty', I think, possibly incorrectly, of chewy toffee flavours from crystal malts, whereas I guess this is an 'exaggerated' base malt and what I've done is create a couple very unbalanced beers that would have been much improved by a bigger hop hit.

Thanks for the help, gents. Learning all the time!