Phasing out pale malt?

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Phasing out pale malt?

Post by dcq1974 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:16 pm

DMS basically smells like Sweetcorn and Cabbage and is very very sulphurous and volatile (of course).
However, in low concentrations it gives a very nice Jam note and provides pleasant fruity and fresh notes.

If a Jim's convention ever happens - I will be most happy to bring a collection of aroma chemicals we all refer to so you can smell them in isolation :D

You wait until you smell Skunk thiol (in solution of course!).

:D
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Could be useful - smells are really hard to convey over a forum. Tastes too, unfortunately, but I wouldn't want to taste Skunk thiol... even if it was in solution, rather than the skunk.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Kev888 wrote:Could be useful - smells are really hard to convey over a forum. Tastes too, unfortunately, but I wouldn't want to taste Skunk thiol... even if it was in solution, rather than the skunk.

Cheers
Kev
Would be nice to know, and how to deal with it tho
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:29 am

I've thought a similar thing, and I just use whatever I've got in stock for whatever I want to brew, the colour difference is so slight and adding a 1-2% Amber malt or some Munich Malt to Lager malt is all you need to fake it.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks - sounds encouraging, Munich is one that I was thinking of too - and I already have it in fair quantities for other recipes. There doesn't seem to be any particular cost difference, so I think I'll try this plus lager malt next time I do an order :-)

It has to be said that I will be a little sad not to be using the old faithful MO. But, if I'm honest with myself, most of my recipies have diverged from any traditional ones by now anyway, and I've already been using other types of pale malt on and off.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Not all pilsner malts are created equal. There was a thread about pilsner malt on an American forum that several experienced brewers said Best pilsner malt coud be boiled less than 90 minutes with good results. Shortly after reading that I brewed my house blonde ale as a lager using Best pilsner malt as the base. I only boil 45 minutes on most batches and did so with this one and it turned out wonderfull.
I've also read that golden promise malt works good in lagers as well as ales, and might be worth considering.
I'm just here for the beer.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Interesting, I read on one of the maltsters websites that they could produce it with different characteristics in that respect - by request, though I suspect that request would have to be phrased in terms of tonnes rather than individual sacks. I guess one could seek out the different brands/types available of the shelf though.

The golden promise idea could be a better compromise than my lager malt plan in some ways. Whilst I use a lot of lager malt its generally in pale ales and the odd wheat beer rather than for actual lager, so I can't see pale malt being a problem especially if its a sweeter one (like I believe GP is supposed to be), and it would be more suitable for most of the styles I make.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: Phasing out pale malt?

Post by zgoda » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:29 am

You can feel safe if you buy pilsner malt from renowned maltster that sells to big brewcos or has good reputation otherwise. Weyermann, Steinbach, Best Malz from Germany, Castle Malting from Belgium, multinationals like Soufflet, Danish Malting Group, Global Malt - just to name a few. They make malt to high standards.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Yeah I'm sure you're right, we'd soon hear if one of the big bods had quality issues. I always used to go for the big familiar brands for similar reason, though I've recently been pleased with pale malt from the Crisp Malting group which I personally hadn't run across before though they're hardly new, I guess theres just less reassurance until you try a new (to you) brand.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

pokerswazi

Post by pokerswazi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned low colour marris otter malt. It might be the malt that you're after for a good all round malt. Could be the perfect compromise to lager/pilsner malt.

asd

Post by asd » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:29 pm

pokerswazi wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned low colour marris otter malt. It might be the malt that you're after for a good all round malt. Could be the perfect compromise to lager/pilsner malt.
Crisps do a low colour MO and a low colour best pale malt.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:44 am

I have a catalogue from a homebrew shop that says it's golden promise malt is good for ales and lagers.
I'm just here for the beer.