Which Pilsner Malt?

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
jimp2003

Which Pilsner Malt?

Post by jimp2003 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:33 pm

I have a few recipes lined up for this year that need Pilsner malt and it is going to make sense to buy a 25kg sack but I am not sure which one to go for as I have never used it before.

My three choices from Maltmiller and are:

Dingeman's Pilsen Malt

Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt

Weyermann Premiere Pilsner Malt

Are they all pretty much the same or has anyone out there noticed any differences?

mozza
Under the Table

Re: Which Pilsner Malt?

Post by mozza » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Sorry to hijack a little bit but how different is a pilsner malt to ordinary pale malt? Just wondering :)
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:02 pm

I don't actually know the answer to this… but Dingemans is a belgian malt. The majority of Belgian recipes i've ever seen use Pilsner malt. This is the Malt I intend to buy next. Weyermann is a German company. The first Pilsner was brewed with German yeast so I assume they used German Malts as well.

Bohemian pilsner malt is a czech style pilsner malt. If I wanted to be exclusive for style I'd use Weyermann for an authentic Bohemian Pilsner and I'd use Dingemans for a Dubbel but they will be in essence very similar... but I hope I could tell the difference. They are all Pilsner malts so would make a great Lager, Belgian, Pilsner, IPA. I did read in New Brewing Lager that all English base malts are the same malt kilned at different temperatures but Malts produced in the countries specific to a brewing region/beer make very different malts to your Maris Otter but a bit lighter/darker. I have also never brewed with Pilsner malt so could just be talking out of my …

Edit: This is the page I was on about
I misquoted but in essence it confirms that if you wanted to brew an authentic Belgian beer buy Dingemans and an authentic bohemian beer buy Bohemian pilsner malt.

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: Which Pilsner Malt?

Post by zgoda » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:45 am

Bohemian in the name comes from Czech grown barley but the variety is of German origin, this is not authentic Czech hard barley variety like in Bohemian Floor Malt.

I'd say "go with what's cheaper", there's not much difference between these 3.

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Cheers zgoda. The Dingemans is the cheapest so I think it will be that one.

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:43 pm

I get quite envious reading these posts. In Switzerland, all I have access to is is Weyermann. It's not a bad thing as the range is pretty comprehensive but I would love to have the chance to see if there really is a difference between all these different base malts. Even if there wasn't, maybe there might be some competition on the price front for all the different brands.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields