Good Home Brew Shop in London Anyone?

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
normanh

Re: Good Home Brew Shop in London Anyone?

Post by normanh » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Theres now one right in the centre of Greys Inn Road oppsite Holbon Tube who sell brew materials and bottled beers. Hops, malt grains etc.

Norman

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:35 pm

Good to see this thread's annual update is being maintained ;)
Dan!

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:49 pm

See you next year Andy :D
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Normanh, what is the place like? Decent prices?

Thanks

Exiled Bradfordian

Post by Exiled Bradfordian » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:08 pm

There's 'Homebrew Depot' in Hackney but it's All Grain only. London fields brewery do a few bits and bats. I pick up most of my gear at Wilko in Stratfordi, or click n collect from Tesco, unless I'm on a Bradford trip where there's a lovely homebrew shop in Shipley called Fireside Brews.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:51 am

normanh wrote:Theres now one right in the centre of Greys Inn Road oppsite Holbon Tube who sell brew materials and bottled beers. Hops, malt grains etc.

Norman
Do you mean BottleDog on Gray's Inn Road, or another shop?

Nearest tube to that is Chancery Lane, not Holborn.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

BrewBoyJoe

Post by BrewBoyJoe » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Hey,
A belated thanks for all the comments (I am the original thread poster). OK so, stupidly I ordered 10k of whole maris otter (required for this weekend SNPA clone) rather than crushed through the homebrewcompany.ie! This mistake only arose because I normally order from the malt miller and they automatically supply milled unless you specifically request otherwise!

I guess the Irish like that extra freshness and have plenty of grain mills per capita!

Anyhow, I rang Brewdog bottleshop on Greys road near Kings Cross and they said they said if I take my malt down there they will mill it for free! Looking forward to checking out the shop on Sat. Hopefully it'd be nice and well priced. As a displaced northerner I have found London to be a bit of a microcosm when it comes to pricing but we shall see. Good of them to sort me out!

Cheers

Joe

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Would't expect anything cheap from brewdog.

BenB

Post by BenB » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:56 pm

Good to know. Of course you could have just borrowed my mill and I'm in nw11 :)

Sean P

Post by Sean P » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:27 am

U Brew in Bermondsey do all grain supplies The grain is fresh as they have a high turnover and the hips are vacuum sealed

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:01 pm

London beer lab are another place where you can get supplied. Similar setup to ubrew. Based in Brixton. There is also the home brew depot, which were based out of a pub in homerton. If you are stuck for small stuff, like yeast, caps, London fields sell some stuff from their taproom. Bottledog have more stuff I think

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:13 am

ubrew is great.. i'm doing a brew there this saturday! the guys in there tend to be pretty busy though, and they are often low on supplies of hop varieties and fresh yeast, so its not really the ideal shop. you're better off getting stuff off the internet, or if you can bear it, driving to the-home-brew-shop, which is not far out of london (its nearish to heathrow).

Brew Online

Post by Brew Online » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi

I can confirm the West Ealing Chemist does purchase from Young's and their order day is Tuesday before 12 with delivery on Wednesday late Morning. I run a online store based in West Molesley, near Kingston and am on the same run www.brewonline.co.uk I also carry stock from several other suppliers. I do not stock all grain but if the demand is there I am prepared to give it a go. I welcome visitors but best call before hand, as I tend to start early and if I complete all my work early I may pop off to sample a brew. In the interest of fairness Cheers are in Cheam and Bigger Juggs in Watford, also Young's and Muntons Websites carry a find a retailer link, it's by no means comprehensive but it may help you find a local supplier.

Happy brewing

Bob

oktaneza

Post by oktaneza » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:02 am

These guys are based between Cheam / Worcester Park in SW london. A decent selection of grains (crushed), yeasts, fermentors, hops and chemicals. A cost wise they are probably the same as MaltMiller/HomeBrewShop once you take shipping into account. Nice to have someone within a 15min drive and they are open on Saturdays.

http://www.cheerswinemakingandbrewing.co.uk/

JRaburn

Post by JRaburn » Fri May 06, 2016 10:08 pm

"We brought beer" in Clapham Junction (Battersea) now has a handful of different malts and hops and a few dried yeasts. Supposed to be expanding their homebrew section, and are also running a monthly homebrew club.