Good Home Brew Shop in London Anyone?

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
BrewBoyJoe

Good Home Brew Shop in London Anyone?

Post by BrewBoyJoe » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello All,
I live in Harrow London. Does anyone know of a good homebrew shop supply shop in either the local area or more likely in Central London somewhere? Often, if you Google it, you later find out the shop has shut down / gone out of business! I generally use TheHomeBrewShop online store as I've found them inexpensive and good to deal with, but sometime you realise brew day is rapidly approaching and you've forgotten to buy yeast , or your hops aren't as fresh as first thought etc...
Cheers
Joe

ttmooney

Re: Good Home Brew Shop in London Anyone?

Post by ttmooney » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi Joe --

I haven't found any homebrew shop in London, although I hear rumours that there is one in Ealing. I order most things from BrewUK.

There is a meeting of the London Amatuer Brewers, the homebrew club, tomorrow at the Draft House next to Tower Bridge. You might want to come along -- everyone is welcome -- and ask there.

travis

mbridge

Post by mbridge » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Wrong side of London for you Joe, but there is http://www.cheerswinemakingandbrewing.co.uk/ in Cheam. I bought an all grain set up from them over the summer and Paul is very helpful. A year ago I went on one of their practical mashing courses, run by the previous owner Richard, which was very good, and I reckon the ones Paul runs are equally as good.

Martin

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Bigger Jugs in Watford http://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/index.php. I've dealt with them a few times for the basics.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

liquidman

Post by liquidman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Travis,

What home brew shop in Ealing?

I Haven't found it but would be nice if there is one!!

A

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 am

It's a chemists which stock a fairly limited range of basic homebrew gear http://www.homebrewstore.net/contactus.aspx
I've been there once to have a nosey and buy a s20 gas cylinder, but didn't see much that you couldn't get either in Wilkos or at a much better price/quality online. No-one in the shop seemed to know much about their stock so in short, don't bother unless it's an emergency.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 pm

We seem to have lost the OP :roll:
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

BrewBoyJoe

Post by BrewBoyJoe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Yes it does seem weird there isn't one in North West London! Still, just bought all my stuff for this weekends all grain clone of Fuller's seasonal Wild River uber hopy summer special beer. Yes, I know it's winter now, but wanted to try it anyway!

Good service and not too bad price at the Malt Miller! Went there because they have WLP001 and the home brew shop doesn't Pretty similar in price to The Home Brew Shop! Both are good online sources!

liquidman

Post by liquidman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:34 pm

I seem to keep ending up back with the Malt miller, good price and good service.

It is weird that there are no brew shops in west London, the only one I've found was (cos they stopped stocking home brew stuff) Wilkinsons in West Ealing. I remember about ten years ago there was one somewhere in Kingston but I've not been able to find it on line (if its evan stil open).

A

BrewBoyJoe

Post by BrewBoyJoe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Ahh Wilco's in West Ealing! I used to live opposite! Great farmers market near by on a Saturday morning!

Sean P

Post by Sean P » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:14 pm

I live in Bushey and work in Ealing and know the chemist It's at the west ealing end of Mattock Lane and has a selection of kits and other bits and pieces. It sells a few grains in 500g bags and some hops which are stored on the shelf in plastic bags. The hop bags aren't vacuum packed and have seen better days. They do sell king kegs and fv's but if its all grain kit you looking for its not really worth a trip. There used to be a shop in rayners lane and its listed on some web pages but shut years ago NW London is a bit of a wasteland for home brew shops

greenhouseuk
Steady Drinker

Post by greenhouseuk » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 pm

I live in Harrow also. I've often felt there is a gap in the market for home brew in West London since the Rayners Lane shop closed.
Visited the Malt Miller in Didcott 2 weeks ago to get a 25kg bag of maris otter and a plate chiller and occasionally make it to the Home Brew Shop in Aldershot (equidistant according to my satnav!).
Maybe we should PM each other when we are doing a schlepp and take orders?
- depends how comfortable you are with this....
JimBob

Drinking: Bengal Tiger IPA (loosely based on Fuller's Bengal Lancer)
Drinking: Elephant Ale (loosely based on Timothy Taylor Landlord)
Drinking: Osprey (based on Brains Bitter)
Fermenting: Ringwood Sixtyniner clone
Next Up: Courage Director's clone

rossi74

Post by rossi74 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:14 pm

I have the same problem living in ruislip. If I've forgotten somthing and don't realise until brew day I'm fooked.

rootsbrew

Post by rootsbrew » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:49 pm

The homebrew shop in Ealing is inside the Matock Lane Pharmacy (homebrewstore.net). I asked once and I think they only buy from Youngs UBrew, so if what you want is on their catalogue, you'll be ok, if not you might be a bit frustrated. They will also get products in for you, including speciality grains. Call before 12 on a Tuesday and it should be there by Wednesday afternoon.

I think it's a bit unfair to say "no better than Wilko". Whilst it's no homebrew super supplier, it's quite good for top-ups and general bits and pieces. It's very good if you're passing, as I find myself doing, or if you live nearby but if I was going to get things online, I'd probably use somewhere else.

Rahere

Post by Rahere » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 pm

Just reviewing London suppliers brought up a new suppliers in the middle of Brixton, London Beer Lab http://www.londonbeerlab.com, who seem to be fairly co-op in their approach: their recipe licensing is OS, for instance.