Good News for Brewers

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
barney

Good News for Brewers

Post by barney » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:32 am

Having just recieved the 2014 malt price list from Thomas Fawcetts, I am happy to report that 2014 should be a pleasing year for home brewers.

The 2013 Barley crop is good quality.
Yeilds are up
Prices are down. :)

£16.78 for MO

I'll drink to that!

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Re: Good News for Brewers

Post by Andy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:44 am

Will those price reductions filter down to Joe Public though ? I'm doubtful :)
Dan!

Underground Joe

Post by Underground Joe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:03 am

Even if it means the prices remain the same that's a good thing I suppose.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:43 pm

Underground Joe wrote:Even if it means the prices remain the same that's a good thing I suppose.
THAT's more likely. My brother in law works for a major Asian maltings and says that they will keep prices static to make up for the reduced profits from last year. When grain prices are high, it's due to a lack of supply from growers, the price demands from breweries don't change but the maltings make less profit.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:34 am

Never thought I'd read a crop report! But this from Crisp (below) seems to back this up, but says the good crop was a surprise after less than ideal growing conditions, it seems to have been good harvesting conditions that made things good. Some snippets:

"Whilst the UK has produced a large surplus of malting barley, production on the continent is lower than the previous year, with the consequence that a significant proportion of the UK surplus has already been traded for shipment to the near continent."

"Overall the EU will have an exportable surplus and this is reflected in the reduction of malting premiums."

"Attention is now turning to next (2014) harvest and the prospect of a significant reduction in UK barley plantings with potentially the smallest malting crop since 2011. When coupled with likely further reductions in spring barley plantings on the continent, the supply / demand analysis points to an EU crop barely sufficient for domestic demand. Maltsters will attempt to carry higher stocks from crop 2013, however with the major surplus being in the UK, where long term storage facilities are minimal, this is not really practicable. The tight position for crop 2014 is reflected in the premium over crop 2013 that the industry appears willing to pay to secure supplies."

Which sounds like a rise in price to me! Bit contradictory? iOr are prices for 2014 malt already being agreed?

Full report:
http://www.crispmalt.co/files/Crop%20Re ... 202013.pdf