Cornish Brewers

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
mozza
Under the Table

Cornish Brewers

Post by mozza » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Granite Rock brewery in Penryn (Falmouth) have a home brew shop tagged onto their premises. Looked online and their prices are horrendous. But thought I'd give them a ring anyway and ask for their best price on a sack of pale malt...
This little beauty set me back £25!
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Belter

Re: Cornish Brewers

Post by Belter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:13 am

That's good to know. Afaik Bairds is a notoriously cheap malt though. Also I usually order malt from TMM with other stuff making the delivery more affordable. I'm also not in Penryn that often. If you're in the area though that's a good price

I spoke to the guy from Granite rock and asked him if he used Bairds and he said he couldn't remember :)

Now I have a grain mill I need some I uncrushed malt so I might take a trip down to see him if he can get it.

Him and his wife and Daughter seem like very nice people. Had a good long chat with them at the Beer Cellars homebrew meet

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:39 am

Yeah not a bad price. I too will use the malt miller for a big order it's just I have loads of grains and hops just ran out of pale malt :)
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Belter

Post by Belter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:45 am

mozza wrote:Yeah not a bad price. I too will use the malt miller for a big order it's just I have loads of grains and hops just ran out of pale malt :)
Don't suppose you have their number? I'm down that way today swimming with the kids

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:24 pm

It's 01326 379251 :) I never had a proper look around but they had a load of youngs hops for sale. Bloody pricey though :lol:
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Belter

Post by Belter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Ended up going in there. I asked the guy about 25kg bags of grain and he looks a bit confused. He said he'd find out. I was only passing through and checking out the place so wasn't that fussed. Got bored of waiting and left. I doubt they'd do uncrushed as they probably never order any.

Like you say a lot of youngs hops. They did have El Dorado though.

They are aimed at the beginners/kit brewers but hopefully may improve.

I still think there's a gap in the market in Cornwall for me to open a homebrew shop in Truro but it'd be a bit cnutish to do that to them and TMM etc are already doing a fine job/covering the big money side of it

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:01 am

I spied the el dorado! I asked if she would come down to £3 a pack and the response was a flat no :lol:
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:12 am

mozza wrote:I spied the el dorado! I asked if she would come down to £3 a pack and the response was a flat no :lol:
They're also not in a freezer. My guess is at that price they will be sat on a lot of hops by next year.

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 am

Belter wrote:I still think there's a gap in the market in Cornwall for me to open a homebrew shop in Truro but it'd be a bit cnutish to do that to them and TMM etc are already doing a fine job/covering the big money side of it
Business is business mate.

I looked at buying that ex-hairdressers opposite the Tesco's on the main road by Charlestown to act as an outlet for the Cornish Brewery and homebrew products. It added up but family stuff and all that ended the idea. Think the shop is still available though and still think it's a viable opportunity if diversified with something complimentary. I'm still a year or two away from doing anything though :(
Tea is for mugs...