WHICH MARIS OTTER

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
paulg

WHICH MARIS OTTER

Post by paulg » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:47 pm

I have the chance to bring over a 25 kg sack of grain from the uk soon.
I use maris otter and usually order about 15-20 kilos at a time crushed and posted .I have just ordered a malt mill and so thought buy a 25 kilo sack uncrushed.
my question is which malster do I choose
crisps seems to be the best price @ malt miller but is it worth spending a bit more and getting warminster floor malted
Is there any noticeable taste differences /efficiency differences.
I dont have the chance to get a sack very often , buying it locally costs me 4 Euro a kilo and post from uk is more than the cost of the grain
so I as a sack would last me at least 6 months what should I get?
thoughts please
Paul

Mr. Dripping

Re: WHICH MARIS OTTER

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:52 pm

I've been buying Dingemans pale of late. It seems to have a more complex, toasted/nutty flavour to the UK malt.
Never tried Crisps, but it seems well liked by many.
I've used a lot of Thos. Fawcett over the years....I've always found it to be good malt with consistent extraction.
The only problem malt I've had was Bairds.....tasted fine but gave me poor efficiency.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:40 pm

paulg wrote: my question is which malster do I choose
The cheapest :wink:
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 pm

TBH, I think this is true, I've tried most of em and can't tell the difference.
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Just used Bairds Maris otter and got over 90% efficiency with a 23L batch mashing overnight :) seems like good stuff to me :) got a sack for £25
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:52 am

Must agree with farr, maris otter seems to be much of a muchness. You could get both sacks and compare I suppose.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:38 pm

I always used Warminster but it's £33 for 25kg, so I've just got a sack of Crisp for only £24 (I think). I was told you wouldn't notice the difference in hoppy beers which I mainly do, but if you were doing a very malty beer where the pale is the star then it's maybe worth going for the more expensive stuff.

I'm planning to crack it open and use it for a Red Rye next, so I probably wont notice the difference myself.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:07 pm

It's interesting that some always attribute price to quality. Wholesale malt prices are mostly based on availability (crop supply) and what they can get away with selling it for.
It's also a two way street where it comes down to what price retailers/breweries can buy/sell it for.

Only maltings make claims about quality. And why would that be ?
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:04 am

Last year I used Bairds...it went horribly wrong...deep colours...terrible extraction...stuck mash. Ive moved to Fawcetts and found this to be much better. I am told that they have sorted their problems at Bairds but I am reluctant to use it again. If its not broken then whey fix it

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:56 pm

If I had to choose a malt I would usually choose Warminster M.O. But my last 25 kg sack was over crushed and made brewing awkward. Crisp I find fine as Fawcetts. If I had to use Bairds I would make Cider.I recently went on a trip to a brewery and the brewer a nice chap offered me really cheap malt to take home in the car . I was really pleased at the thought of the malt at the price he offered to me unfortunately was Bairds so I had to decline the offer.

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:19 pm

I have done 2 brews with Crisp MO so far and though I would share some feedback.

Taste and colour are fine but I can't get the same target OG that I get with Beersmith and Warminster MO. I used the same grain bill I've used previously doing everything exactly the same, and got 1052 with Crisp instead of 1060 with Warminster. Same went for my Chocolate Chipotle Stout I did on Saturday, aiming for 1062 and got 1054. Next brew I will up the MO by 15% maybe, but that sort of defeats the point of buying cheaper malt if you have to put a lot more in!

I've had a discussion on Twitter with another Crisp user and he has found the same thing as me, nothing wrong with it, just not quite as efficient as Warminster.

dynamic dave

Post by dynamic dave » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:45 pm

I have never used CRISP PALE ALE MALT before so interesting to see how it measures to other pale malts one question when entering it into Grahams Wheelers BEER ENGINE via the editor what percentage do I enter as fermentability.
I have looked for information on there website and found this...
Typical analysis
Parameter IoB EBC ASBC
Moisture 4.5% max 4.5% min 3.5% max
Extract 308.0 L°/kg 81.5% 81.5%
Colour 2.5-3.5 EBC 3.0-4.0 EBC 1.5-1.9 °L
TN/TP 1.40-1.60% 8.8-10.0% 8.8-10.0%
SNR/KI/ST ratio 38-43 43-48 43-48
DP/DPWK/Lintner 50 min IoB 150 min WK 55 min °L

any help please fellow HB would be appreciated.

asd

Post by asd » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:19 pm

I have used Simpsons, and it seems fine.

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Personally I like Crisp, but their pale is definitely superior to their maris otter. Better extraction and flavour.
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:10 pm

Cpt.Frederickson wrote:Personally I like Crisp, but their pale is definitely superior to their maris otter. Better extraction and flavour.
Yes I've heard that about the pale