Crushed Malt Shelf Life ?

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
roscoe

Crushed Malt Shelf Life ?

Post by roscoe » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:57 am

I'm sure I have read at length about this and I buy crushed malts and generally use them mostly < 1 month, but have no issue using < 3month. But who really really knows when they were crushed.

Now the reason for the post is that I noticed the label on some Crisp crushed Maris Otter I got earlier the year said best before 20/2/16

? seems way far beyond anything I understood ?

oakwell

Re: Crushed Malt Shelf Life ?

Post by oakwell » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:28 pm

I've used crushed malt that I've had for up to 12 months and it's been fine. I guess it depends on how well it's stored. maybe the 2016 date referred to the malt before it was crushed. it seems a long time to expect crushed malt to stay in good condition.

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:53 am

Depends a lot on storage, cool, dry (and rodent-free) is best. I have a 20kg sack of crushed wheat malt and it is almost 2 years old now, I use it mostly for head retention ie about 200g a brew, and it's as good as new still.

Evanvine

Post by Evanvine » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:55 am

Like DeGarre, I buy in 25kg.
One of my specialty malts is over 3 years old, still going strong.
There is no doubt when it's off, it stinks!

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:32 am

so with perfect storage (and knowingly buying really fresh)
e.g. sealed sack, sealed blue tub, dry scottish temperatures

you can be looking at 2 years then, even for crushed ?

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:10 pm

Dry Scottish?

I have my original paper sack in one of those plastic square storage boxes with a lid. There is a shower/wet room near by and some moisture and fog every now and then as it's not a big cottage but it only shows people worry about life of crushed grain unnecessarily. 2 years easy unless you sprinkle water on top...

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:20 pm

roscoe wrote:I'm sure I have read at length about this and I buy crushed malts and generally use them mostly < 1 month, but have no issue using < 3month. But who really really knows when they were crushed.

Now the reason for the post is that I noticed the label on some Crisp crushed Maris Otter I got earlier the year said best before 20/2/16

? seems way far beyond anything I understood ?
If you buy from The Malt Miller you know exactly when its crushed. Its the day he gets your order.
Rob at TMM normally puts on a best before date on malt labels that is 1 year after the crush/ despatch date