Medium Peat Smoked Malt?

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
bigdave

Medium Peat Smoked Malt?

Post by bigdave » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:54 pm

When placing my latest malt order I was intrigued by medium peat smoked malt so ordered some.

Now it's arrived and I'm not really sure how best to use it? I'd imagine a porter or stout would best suit a peaty/smoky edge but I have no idea on quantities, complimentary hops etc..

Any advice?

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Medium Peat Smoked Malt?

Post by seymour » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:14 am

You're a kick-ass brewer, bigdave, so I know you'll find your own way. But smoked malt is really, really difficult in my opinion. There's so much variability in the intensity of smoke character, age, peat vs wood, type of wood, etc. I've tasted beers with 5% smoke malt which tasted smokier than other beers which were 33-60% smoke malt.

If you just want a subtle layer of complexity, I'd start with a mere 5% of the grainbill.

One thing I learned through this beer: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=63048#p662685 was that when I called it "American Stout"(because it had a high-gravity, loads of resiny hops, extreme malt complexity, etc) several people described an unpleasant medicinal flaw and crap like that. When I handed it to people calling it a "Smoke Stout", they reacted like it was one of the best beers they ever tasted. No lie.

So, whatever you do, just make sure to include "Smoke" in your description. And serve it with barbeque.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:29 am

Smoked beers also work really well with strong cheeses like stilton.

For me a smooth smokey beer is delicious to serve at the end of a meal with cheese instead of something like port - people rarely want a full pint though.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:35 am

I think smoke would work in something high abv like a barley wine, where the smoke can be balanced against sweetness and a bit of alcohol burn, maybe with floral and citrus notes from hopping , much like a whiskey. Or, a festive beer with spices, ginger for a warming fireside feel.

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Great points, Jocky and Sadfield.

bigdave, I'd start with something along these lines:

69% UK Pale Malt
5% Peat Smoked Malt
7% Dark Crystal Malt
2% Chocolate Malt
4% UK Black Malt
13% Torrified Wheat (not malted)

mash ≈148°F/64°C
OG ≈1060
IBU ≈45
high-attenuating UK ale yeast, ferment ≈69°F/20.5°C

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:28 pm

I've come up with a recipe that's not a million miles away from that!! Will post it when I can get on my computer.

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:05 pm

bigdave wrote:I've come up with a recipe that's not a million miles away from that!! Will post it when I can get on my computer.
Makes sense. I often read your brewdays and think we must be "brothas from anotha motha" :)

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:12 pm

This is what I was thinking..

seymour

Post by seymour » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:08 pm

Ohhh yeah, that looks like a great idea. Cluster's so nice in a big brown ale, isn't it? Love the Kolsch yeast too. I think you could even double the smoke malt if you wanted to, 5.2% still shouldn't be overpowering.