Special B

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
far9410
Even further under the Table

Special B

Post by far9410 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:26 pm

got some of the above for a radieuse clone, will end up with about 200g left over, what can I use this for, would it be a substitute for black malt?
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Special B

Post by Dennis King » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:44 pm

I would use it more instead of crystal malt, I love the stuff..

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:49 pm

I love it too, but only in very particular cases.

You can use it in any Belgian ale with colour, or any other brown ale recipe you want to adapt, making it instantly recognizeable as Belgian. Special-B is one of the most unique and complex malts you'll ever find, but it DOES NOT HIDE: toffee, molasses, plums, raisins, sour cherries, red wine grapeskins, tree nut tannins, burnt toast. No, it's not a substitute for Black Malt, unless you specifically want to introduce all those special layers.

It goes great in Robust Porters, but will no longer taste authentically English, if that matters to you.

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Aaah, so no good in a cocker hoop clone! :?
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Well hell, don't let me stop you. Jennings Cocker Hoop is only .5% Black Malt anyway, right? So just use the Special B instead for Cocker Hoop with a splash of Port wine. :)

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:07 pm

I recently made a mild using special B, one of my favorites over the last year.

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:11 pm

Dennis King wrote:I recently made a mild using special B, one of my favorites over the last year.
That would be tasty, did it kinda emulate those top-cropped, open-top, warm fermentation, English ale traits you think?

Here's another great usage (a Ratebeer perfect 100 score):

Bells Kalamazoo Stout
Bell's Beer Galesburg, Michigan, USA
Style: Stout
OG: 1067
ABV: 6.0%
Grainbill: 52% Pale, 20% Flaked Barley, 14% Roasted Barley, 6% Munich Malt, 6% Special-B Malt, 2% Black Malt, 1/2 licorice stick
Hops: Nugget, Fuggles (60 min)
IBU: 51
Colour: opaque black
Yeast: the Anchor Liberty strain, available as Wyeast 1272 and White Labs WLP051

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:01 am

I've a recipe for Pelforth Brune that uses it, but you would need 715 gr for 25 litres
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:17 am

I put 150g in my recent porter for 23L.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:27 am

seymour wrote:Bells Kalamazoo Stout
Grainbill: 52% Pale, 20% Flaked Barley, 14% Roasted Barley, 6% Munich Malt, 6% Special-B Malt, 2% Black Malt, 1/2 licorice stick
Yeast: the Anchor Liberty strain, available as Wyeast 1272 and White Labs WLP051
That looks good. Have you tried it? 14% roast barley is an awful lot of roast.

MashTim
Piss Artist

Post by MashTim » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 am

seymour wrote:
It goes great in Robust Porters, but will no longer taste authentically English, if that matters to you.
Mine does taste of traditional porter with Special B I also use brown malt, it seems to add complexity, depth and smoothness, but I suppose it depends on the balance of malts overall.

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:59 am

Hi

I haven't tried using it in this way myself (yet :wink: ) ... but I think the bit at the end of the Special B entry in the Brupaks Guide to Grains (link), the bit I've highlighted below, is quite interesting :? ...
Brupaks Guide to Grains wrote:Special B is produced in the same way as other Belgian caramel malts except that it undergoes a second roasting. Its profile is that of a cross between dark caramel malt and medium roasted malt. The resultant distinctive flavour and aroma enhances many Belgian classics, but could also add interesting flavours to British ales, especially milds, brown ales etc. An interesting usage is to blend Rauchmalz with Special B (60/40) to emulate the flavour of the traditional English brown malt, traditionally roasted over open fires.
... I know there are brewers on here who have used "old fashioned", wood roasted brown malts (Orlando?) and who have suggested they've made good porters ... this looks like a "cheats way" of getting that impression :?

Cheers, PhilB

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Capn Ahab wrote:
seymour wrote:Bells Kalamazoo Stout
That looks good. Have you tried it? 14% roast barley is an awful lot of roast.
Oh yes, it's fantastic. That is a lot of adjunct and roast...sorta. Then again, even Guiness is around 10% RB. When reading American stout recipes, remember our mash efficiency is typically higher and this yeast strain is MUCH more attenuative than traditional English counterparts.

Here's the commercial description:
This is a full-bodied stout with plenty of roast flavor as well as hints of molasses and chocolate. Ridiculous amounts of black and caramel malts make this stout smooth, creamy, and utterly opaque.
Here's my published rating:
Tasted from a 12oz bottle into shaker glass. It appeared opaque black with a sudsy tan head, long-lasting with sheets of lace. Aromas of coffee, baker’s cocoa, berries, roasted barley, burnt toast, dark fruity ale yeast esters. VERY smooth and creamy flavor while somehow simultaneously crisp and tart (although less tart than Guinness) with a measured earthy, citrusy English-style hops bitterness. Hints of brown bread, fruitcake, toffee, caramelized brown sugar, peach cobbler, campfire roasted marshmallows, chocolate milk. Overall impression is of a chocolate frosted Long-John donut. Medium body and carbonation, full-bodied bready mouthfeel, mild fruity tartness, complex aftertaste which eventually finished dry. Definitely left me wanting more. Delicious.

beerlion

Post by beerlion » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:45 am

Hi IPA, any chance you could publish the recipe for Pelforth Brune? I love that beer!

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: Special B

Post by zgoda » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:40 am

It's just dark crystal, even less aromatic than Weyermann Caraaroma (they make a clone of Special B called Special W).