Special B

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Special B

Post by seymour » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:18 pm

gibbiem wrote:It's like a double bluff. No wonder they called it Arrogant Bastard ha ha. Do you know a recipe for their sublimely black IPA? Also wondered if anyone on here has a recipe for Jackhammer by Brewdog?

Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
Stone Brewing - Escondido, California, USA
Style: Black IPA
ABV: 8.7%
Grainbill: 90% Pale, 5% Crystal 60L Malt, 5% Carafa III Malt
Hops: Chinook (90 min), Simcoe, Amarillo (5 min), Simcoe, Amarillo (dry hops)
IBU: 90
Colour: Opaque black
Yeast: proprietary Stone ale strain, a higher-attenuating derivitive of Whitbread-B (dry), related to NCYC 1026, Wyeast 1026, Wyeast 1098, White Labs WLP007, Safale S-04

BrewDog Jackhammer
BrewDog - Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Style: American IPA
OG: 1069
ABV: 7.2%
Grainbill: Maris Otter Extra Pale Malt, small % CaraMalt
Hops: Centennial (in mash, more first wort hops then a 60 min boil, more at 30 min), Columbus (60 min, 30 min), Centennial, Columbus (at flame-out, steep 30 min), Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe (dry hops)
IBU: 100
Colour: Clear golden
Yeast: proprietary Vaux Brewery ale yeast, an historic UK strain, might be the same as Maxim, even old Caledonian and Wards strains

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:43 pm

Nice one cheers, where do you get them from? What's the best way to work out quantities? Never added hops to the mash before

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:49 pm

gibbiem wrote:What's the best way to work out quantities? Never added hops to the mash before
It's easily done with your favouring brewing software, or even free online recipe calculator. Plug in the desired volumes, then work-out the grain weights based on the percentages I supplied, enough to bring the OG to the one I supplied. Then repeat with the hops. You can start with the longest duration hop additions, enough to get maybe 70-80% of the total IBU, then add enough of the shorter additions to reach the total IBU. You'll learn how much dry hops to use based on experience with your own kit, there are lots of great tips around here. You only need a handful for mash hopping, the benefits of which are a bit debatable anyway. Just toy with your calculations to get as close to the guidelines I supplied, and your beer will be very similar to the desired target no matter what. Take good notes and tweak next time based on your own findings. Best of luck!

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Sorted Seymour, good old Beersmith. Now I know why I often see recipes with really random grain weight like 4.67kg ha ha. Cheers again

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:30 pm

gibbiem wrote:Sorted Seymour, good old Beersmith. Now I know why I often see recipes with really random grain weight like 4.67kg ha ha. Cheers again
Exactly! Once you switch to thinking in terms of grainbill percentages, every recipe is perfectly scaleable.