Crushing wheat malt

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Crushing wheat malt

Post by Jocky » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:48 pm

I thought I'd do something stupid for my next beer and make a 100% wheat beer.

I've got some Weyermann wheat on the way, supposedly the most likely to fully convert ok, as well as some of the coloured wheat malts too (Dark Wheat malt, CaraWheat, and some roasted wheat). And I've got some oat husks to help with the lautering.

The issue I have though, is how finely do I crush the wheat? Does anyone have any experience of this?

I was thinking about running through on my regular setting (about 1mm or 0.035-0.040") and then tighten it down a bit and running it all through again.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

legion
Hollow Legs

Re: Crushing wheat malt

Post by legion » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:33 pm

I tried a 100% wheat beer at brew meet in Tonbridge and it was tasty. I did have it on my list of beers to brew but had forgotten about it till your post :D
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Crushing wheat malt

Post by Jocky » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:20 am

I asked Rob from the malt miller over twitter and we had the following exchange:

Rob:"try to get to an average size of pin head. Your going to need oat husks!!"
Me:"Right, so crush the bejesus out of it. I have a bag of oat husks in the order too!"
Rob:"Yes but it's tricky if you create to much flour. Go larger and lower efficiency is better"

So I'm going to assume an awful efficiency (10% lower than normal) and use extra malt, not to mention some judicious use of oat husks.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.