Crushed malt efficiency

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Crushed malt efficiency

Post by Secla » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:36 pm

I have a 25kg sack of crushed Maris otter that's been sitting in the spare room since July that I really need to use up. I have a. American IPA, double IPA and imperial stout planned which should get through a fair bit !
I'm a little concerned that the efficiency will be a lot lower than expected as it was crushed quite a while back.

Should I increase mash time, add a little extra to the recipe or just wait and see what happens ?

brewnaboinne

Re: Crushed malt efficiency

Post by brewnaboinne » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:14 pm

I don't think you should have a problem if the grain has been kept sealed and dry. I would make the first brew as normal and then adjust your later recipes if there's a marked loss of efficiency.

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Yup it's all sealed up in the dry, I've read that anything up to 6 months if you buy pre crushed but some off the other malts I have state up to a year on the bag

Il give the IPA a bash this weekend and see how it works out

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:24 pm

The crushed malt I buy from the Malt Miller has a best before date of 1 year. Never noticed any loss of efficiency when I'm at the end of a bag which can be 6 months after I buy it.