Hefeweizen with British Wheat Malt?

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Hefeweizen with British Wheat Malt?

Post by MTW » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 am

I can only get Fawcett's British wheat locally. Anyone done a hefe (or a Belgian wit) with British wheat malt and what were the results versus German or Belgian grains?

TIA
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

rpt
Hollow Legs

Re: Hefeweizen with British Wheat Malt?

Post by rpt » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:46 pm

I've made good wheat beer with British wheat malt. Never used continental wheat so can't compare.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:33 pm

I've never used British wheat malt, but there's no reason that you can't make a good hefeweizen with it.
If you use one of those bananaish, bubble gumish yeasts you'll be hard pressed to pick out which wheat malt was used.
I'm just here for the beer.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks both. I have a vial of WLP300 ready to go, so yes it's a nice bananary yeast!

I've only done one hefe so far, which was with Belgian wheat. I was just concerned about opening up another variable in a style I'm trying to nail, though if someone can tell me there's virtually no difference in the composition of the malt, I can pick up the British malt locally and avoid an unnecessary mail order right now.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:55 pm

MTW wrote:Thanks both. I have a vial of WLP300 ready to go, so yes it's a nice bananary yeast!

I've only done one hefe so far, which was with Belgian wheat. I was just concerned about opening up another variable in a style I'm trying to nail, though if someone can tell me there's virtually no difference in the composition of the malt, I can pick up the British malt locally and avoid an unnecessary mail order right now.
Give it a go with what you can get locally. With a yeast like you plan to use the malts play a background role.
I'm just here for the beer.