saccharin tablets

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
basha45

saccharin tablets

Post by basha45 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:16 pm

what can i used stead of saccharin tablets in brew

rpt
Hollow Legs

Re: saccharin tablets

Post by rpt » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Why do you want to use saccharin in your beer? I think some old Dave Line recipes used them but I don't think anyone uses them now.

basha45

Post by basha45 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:39 pm

i was looking at manns ale recipe and it said saccharin tablets in the recipe what a better way for it your a better yeast

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:14 pm

rpt wrote:Why do you want to use saccharin in your beer? I think some old Dave Line recipes used them but I don't think anyone uses them now.
Dave Line had the impression that anything that was called an "ale" and anything that he deemed to be an ale, irrespective of what it was called (usually higher gravity stuff) had to be sweet, and so he shoved saccharine in his "ale" recipes to sweeten them, but he was quite wrong in that assumption. I have got myself into hot water on here before by suggesting that Dave Line could ever have made mistakes, so I will end by suggesting that you can feel free to ignore the saccharine. You can always add it later, even to your pint pot, should you feel the necessity.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:18 pm

Zylitol is a good artificial sweeter that has the same sweetening power as sucrose.

From what I remember of Daves recipes the saccharine was added because he thought the yeast he used fermented more to completion than the commercial product. It is certainly not the case nowadays . . The only time I've used Zylitol is to sweeten cider that has fermented drier than a nuns crotch .. . And that's only because she doesn't like my dry cider

basha45

Post by basha45 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:57 pm

ok for all good information :D

Graham

Post by Graham » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:16 am

Aleman wrote: From what I remember of Daves recipes the saccharine was added because he thought the yeast he used fermented more to completion than the commercial product. It is certainly not the case nowadays
In Dave's day, there was the commonly held view that the difference between an ale and a beer was that ale was stronger and, more importantly, sweeter than a beer. It still lingers on today to a certain extent. This turns out not to be true, it wasn't true in Dave's day either. It might have been true 200 years ago when ales had O.G.s of 1.250 or so, only about half of which will ferment out before the yeast commits zymicide by drowning in its own excreta, leaving the rest of the extract as sweetness, but nothing is brewed of that sort of gravity these days, and there hasn't been for a great many years.

When thumbing through Dave Line's recipes, it becomes apparent that anything with "ale" in its name has saccharine in it. Also, some of his beers at the higher end of the gravity range also have saccharine in them, presumably because he judged them to be an ale, even though "ale" is not part of their name.

Because of this I assumed that that was Dave's thinking on the subject, but we will never know for sure.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:00 am

lactose is a nonfermentable sugar, w/w its about 1/2 as sweet as sucrose (tate n lyle) so use twice as much, it will also add some body to a beer i have used it to sweeten fermented out ginger beer at a rate of 500g per 23l batch to add a hint of sweetness tho not qute the level of commercial sweet ginger beers.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(