Storing grains

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
wfr42

Storing grains

Post by wfr42 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:56 pm

About to click buy on my next 3 AG brews using geterbreweds custom grain kits to maximise my bang for my buck on the postage.

Will the 2nd and 3rd brews be ok, bagged for 3 and 6 weeks respectively as I've only got the one FV and aquarium heater?

I'm assuming so, but any advice on where to store 2 5kg bags of grain is more than welcome.

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Re: Storing grains

Post by scotsloon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Yes, they will be ok as long as you have somewhere to store them, I live in the countryside surrounded by fields and have a problem with field mice. I store my grain in a plastic wheelie bin that I got from my council tip, (a new one asked for as a replacement). My grain usually lasts for about 9 months without any problem.

wfr42

Post by wfr42 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Is that crushed or uncrushed?

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:34 pm

Uncrushed will last longer however I buy a 25kg sack of crushed that lasts me 3 months and some of my specialized malts can be over a year old. Keep cool and dry.

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:50 am

I'm with Dennis, un-crushed lasts longer but I buy 25Kg crushed grains from the Malt MillerHere, just makes life simpler! The crushed grains lasts long enough to do 4 - 6 brews over a 6/9 month period. The MM is well thought of on the forum, he's a brewer in his own right, his prices are good, delivery excellent and he attends the yearly festival.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:25 am

When you do start buying your grain get your self one of these.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:50 am

What orlando says. I've kept crushed grain in them and used 12 months later no problem

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:38 am

Yeah those blue containers are great although I plumped for a new 120L one as they were not much more than ones that needed cleaning and the smell removed and they will hold a decent amount of grain (the 60L will just hold 25kg of grain). Also be aware that they are not all the same, some have much wider neck openings than others (i bought from necontainers on eBay for that reason).
Also for three quid The Malt Miller will vacuum pack a 25Kg sack into 5 5kg bags, well worth it for the freshness, consistency between brews and I probably gained another 1.5kg in grain anyway on my last order when weighing the bags individually (all were at least 5kg but most were over).

npg

Post by npg » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:19 am

Uncrushed and stored dry can make them last years. I wouldn't store them crushed for too long though. 1-2 weeks max.

I mill them on brew day after conditioning them with 2% of liquor at 30C. Even when over a year old, I never had a problem.

Crushed however, doesn't only deteriorate fast, but it also attracts pests. They seem to find it irresistible. In the olden days I even had one chewing through a container to get at them.

Soay4699
Steady Drinker

Post by Soay4699 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:56 am

My recent experience with using crushed grain that had been stored in sealed relatively air tight containers using grain from MM. First brew a couple of days after crushed grain arrived I managed pre-boil gravity of 1.043 compared with estimated 1.045. Four weeks later I only managed 1.042 compared with estimate of 1.046.

I always just try to buy enough for two brews because I think they do go off quite quickly if you are using pre-crushed. That's my experience.

So I would like to mill my own grain but SHE wont have it. Something to do with all the dust it would generate I think.