Started smoking (again)

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Started smoking (again)

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:11 pm

I want to smoke malt, not in a rizla of course, but in the cold smoker i've just built (apart from the lid ran out of wood). Firstly i'm going smoke wheat malt for 100% wheat malt gratzer, i have birch chips for this but also some apple wood. Cheese, home made salamis and salmon is also on the agenda. Questions:
- What is your favourite recipe using smoked malt?
- If you smoked it yourself, how long, what malt and wood did you use?
and finally can i smoke malt and get high? Just asking like.....

f00b4r
Site Admin

Started smoking (again)

Post by f00b4r » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Am going to make the Speidel smoked beer tomorrow so will let your know how it turns out. I got it free with my Braumeister, I meant to get the oaked beer but want paying attention when I ordered
In the latest Brooklyn brewery boy they have the recipe for “RANGER CREEK’S MESQUITE SMOKED PORTER” direct from the head brewer, you smoke the malt for an hour indirectly then seal in a closed jar for five days to cure.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Re: Started smoking (again)

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:03 pm

f00b4r wrote:Am going to make the Speidel smoked beer tomorrow so will let your know how it turns out. I got it free with my Braumeister, I meant to get the oaked beer but want paying attention when I ordered Image
In the latest Brooklyn brewery boy they have the recipe for “RANGER CREEK’S MESQUITE SMOKED PORTER” direct from the head brewer, you smoke the malt for an hour indirectly then seal in a closed jar for five days to cure.
Interesting, what is the Speidel smoked beer malt smoked with? I reckon mesquite malt is hefty stuff, im going for a lighter birch or apple wood to start with.

Anybody else smoke their own?

Peat

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Peatbogbrewer wrote: Cheese, home made salamis and salmon is also on the agenda. Questions:

No end to what some people will brew with. :roll: :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:23 pm

orlando wrote:
Peatbogbrewer wrote: Cheese, home made salamis and salmon is also on the agenda. Questions:

Hmmmmmmm.....nope...

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:27 pm

Peatbogbrewer wrote:
f00b4r wrote:Am going to make the Speidel smoked beer tomorrow so will let your know how it turns out. I got it free with my Braumeister, I meant to get the oaked beer but want paying attention when I ordered Image
Interesting, what is the Speidel smoked beer malt smoked with? I reckon mesquite malt is hefty stuff, im going for a lighter birch or apple wood to start with.

Anybody else smoke their own?

Peat
No idea but it smelt amazing going into the mash and the wort tasted like it's going to be a cracker (I have had a Schlenkerla rauchbier before and wasn't impressed as it was way too smokey for me).
I am going to email Speidel and see what the smoked malt was though).

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:54 pm

I've made it before. Initially, I wasn't that happy with it. It's wasn't bad, just not great. After two months of ageing, I really enjoyed it.
Using Tapatalk

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:21 pm

mbarn wrote:
I've made it before. Initially, I wasn't that happy with it. It's wasn't bad, just not great. After two months of ageing, I really enjoyed it.
The Speidel beer or the Ranger Creek?

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:37 pm

My favourite recipe with smoked malt comes in a bottle labelled Laphroaig.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:51 pm

rpt wrote:My favourite recipe with smoked malt comes in a bottle labelled Laphroaig.
I'm an Ardbeg Uigeadail man myself.....

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:09 pm

f00b4r wrote:
mbarn wrote:
Speidel one.
Using Tapatalk

danb3434

Post by danb3434 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:36 pm

I made a Rauchbear with smoked malts, but I didn't smoke them myself unfortunately - tasted like bacon beer hahah

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:12 pm

mbarn wrote:
f00b4r wrote:
mbarn wrote: I've made it before. Initially, I wasn't that happy with it. It's wasn't bad, just not great. After two months of ageing, I really enjoyed it.
Speidel one.
Cheers, that is good to know. It seems patience is yet again probably needed.

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:46 pm

I'm quite a fan of all the Schlenkerla beers I've had as they taste well balanced to me - aside from the wheat beer. I love wheat beers generally but this one really wasn't nice - it tasted of hot dogs if I recall. Funny how your mind places flavours...
orlando wrote:
If I recall correctly, aren't salamis already fermented?
Never enough time...

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Bad 'Ed wrote:I'm quite a fan of all the Schlenkerla beers I've had as they taste well balanced to me - aside from the wheat beer. I love wheat beers generally but this one really wasn't nice - it tasted of hot dogs if I recall. Funny how your mind places flavours...
orlando wrote:
If I recall correctly, aren't salamis already fermented?
You're right they are!

Gratzer recipe I may go with is:
3kg apple/beech smoked wheat malt (1-2hrs)
373g vienna
185g carared
185g carawheat
60g saaz at 60 min and 60g at 5 min
US05 at 19 degs
I've gone for vienna and cara's to add more malty complexity but may omit to pure authentic 100% smoked wheat grist and more IBUs to work with the smoke.