Can I use these flakes?

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Orwell

Can I use these flakes?

Post by Orwell » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:48 pm

My LHBS will not have any flaked Barley in for another week :(
I have found these on the Holland and Barret site http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/p ... s-60019244

Would I be able to use these ?
I am a complete newbie so I will ask stupid questions

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Can I use these flakes?

Post by Rookie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:34 pm

Orwell wrote:My LHBS will not have any flaked Barley in for another week :(
I have found these on the Holland and Barret site http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/p ... s-60019244

Would I be able to use these ?
I am a complete newbie so I will ask stupid questions
Yes. I've used flakes (rye and triticale) from the supermarket with good results.
Ask away.
I'm just here for the beer.

Orwell

Post by Orwell » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:00 am

Ok thanks for that

While I prefer to buy from the LHBS it is hard to support him when he hardly has any stock.
I will try the Rye too

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Just to remind you, when you buy goods from a LHBS that you can buy from a supermarket, your not only supporting the home brew shop your paying VAT @ 20% to the taxman.

I love to buy goods from any HBS but why should I pay tax, after all it is an everyday item.

So I support my local shops that sell the goods that I need to brew. That makes me happy....but not the tax man :wink:

Cheers
To Busy To Add,

Orwell

Post by Orwell » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:20 pm

I see now why the HBS seems to be dearer on barley and wheat.

I was not sure if the ones sold for food had something we need for brewing stripped out
Now I know I can use them I will get more from the supermarkets.
I will use the HBS for everything else

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:45 pm

Orwell wrote: I was not sure if the ones sold for food had something we need for brewing stripped out

I'm pretty sure they are processed the same.
I think they are heated and run through a roller without regard for where they get sold.
I'm just here for the beer.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:00 pm

If you look around the info is out on the net,
Not many years ago, there was no vat on many brewing things that were so called everyday food items. Then they had a reform of these items, and Yeh you pay vat on any brewing items brought from the homebrew shop. But no vat if brought from a supermarket. It's up to you to work it out if it's the same.
Some home brew shops even tell you go to the supermarket if you ask for one of the said items.
One or two of the said item, rice and corn. I buy ground rice and boil it, I buy polenta and boil it. it does the same thing,
Porrage, instant or rolled, instant has had it all done for you, rolled,, well you can either boil it or use it without boiling, depending on what you want it to do.
It's very easy to make candi sugar, it's easy to buy golden syrup and the black stuff.
So look around and ask what other peeps do. some peeps are short of time but have the cash to buy. Others have the time but prefer to spend there cash in better ways.
Anyway hope this get you thinking
To Busy To Add,