Ba#*@rd pilsner malt

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
alix101
Under the Table

Ba#*@rd pilsner malt

Post by alix101 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm venting my frustration here in the lucky malt and grist section as this is what's ruined my weekend. ..possibly dramatic :D
I purchased some pilsner malt to brew a lovely well worked recipe for a kolsch ...For the non ale drinkers at Christmas and me but I've abandoned brew day first time ever actually thrown the towel in ...
The mash got stuck no bigey :shock: but I mean stuck the pilsner malt had so much flour it set like concrete. .....giving I'm using a Rims type single vessel system the wort and grain poured over the basket into the boil kettle .....so I had to do a run of clean everything and start again ....The fun wasn't over, the flour then got stuck on the element as I brought it up to temp and tripped the stupid kettle so I had to drain again :twisted: only to find the element was black, black with molasses so burnt on nothing would touch it .....I'm currently sulking .
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Kyle_T
Mild King

Re: Ba#*@rd pilsner malt

Post by Kyle_T » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Least I'm not the only one to have a calamity brew day today!
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:22 pm

Go on kyle let it out ... :twisted:
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Haha, not quite as exciting as yours but my £50 element went pop today (only used 3 times before) and I had to travel 20 miles to a mates house to finish my brew and then drive back home again
...it started so well!
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com