Minch malt

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
beersoulman

Minch malt

Post by beersoulman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Any one been using this malt? It is good value but has caused slow run off in my tuns .. Perhaps it is not crushed well for home brewing .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Minch malt

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:26 am

Welcome to jims,,B-S-man (beersoulman), I'm sure you enjoy your stay.

But anyway there are a few that have used this malt, there is a thread somewhere, I will see if I can find it. But anyway I have used it, but I did crush it myself and also used another pale malt with it

Edit; there's this thread,viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70590&hilit=Minch
To Busy To Add,

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:28 pm

T'is good malt allright. Did you crush it yourself or did you buy it crushed. Several lads I know love it and one lad who is setting up a Brewpub is only going to use it
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

beersoulman

Post by beersoulman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:39 pm

[quote="Wonkydonkey"]Welcome to jims,,B-S-man (beersoulman), I'm sure you enjoy your stay.

But anyway there are a few that have used this malt, there is a thread somewhere, I will see if I can find it. But anyway I have used it, but I did crush it myself and also used another pale malt with it

Edit; there's this thread,viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70590&hilit=Minch[/quote]

beersoulman

Post by beersoulman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:42 pm

Cheers . I bought it crushed and l,m using bazooka filters that are usually ace. Very slow nearly stuck run offs every time so far ... At least 8 mashes ! Shame ... Never had a problem with malt Miller or WHS .

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:52 pm

I'd buy whole or use washed oak husks, that supplier crushes fine and although my efficiency was up, I'll only buy whole now

beersoulman

Post by beersoulman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:56 pm

[quote="ciderhead"]I'd buy whole or use washed oak husks, that supplier crushes fine and although my efficiency was up, I'll only buy whole now[/quote]

beersoulman

Post by beersoulman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:00 pm

I generally mash at least 15 kg at a time . That's a lot of crushing . Might go back to WHS . Shame coz I love the feel of getter brewed and the homebrew company.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:49 pm

The optimum crush required is somewhat specific to the system and techniques used, its one of the small compromises that can result when buying it ready crushed. Some suppliers who crush on demand will do custom crushes, I but usually you just get a generic one - and that can vary between manufacturers/retailers. Usually its okay for most people, but some could benefit slightly from finer or coarser crushes.

Finer crushes can achieve higher efficiency in free-draining systems, like those using grain bags and large manifolds, so this would suit many people. It sounds like it just doesn't happen to suit your particular setup.

Though sometimes in transport you can get all the fine stuff at one end of the sack, so that could also be the cause - or similarly if the retailer has made smaller packs without first mixing it up, some packs may contain more fine stuff than others. (edit: this is a generic observation, I have no first hand experience of this particular retailer).
Kev