Hercules hop.

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Fat boy quiff
Steady Drinker

Hercules hop.

Post by Fat boy quiff » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:04 am

Hi.
I have just completed an 'Old World India Pale Ale' from the Brew dog back catalog. It has been in the FV for two days and I am thinking of adding some dry hops (pellets) to the fermenting wort. I have some Hercules pellets which I could use but have never dry hopped with these before. Has anyone used these hops in this manner and if so what was the result.
Still searching for the perfect pint.......It's been a long road.

FermentedCulture
Tippler

Re: Hercules hop.

Post by FermentedCulture » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm

I've only used them once for a blonde beer where it was the only hop used. I used high dryhopping rates so it was quite bitter. It reminded me of German lagers to be honest, unfortunately I don't have any notes and only have 1 bottle left for aging purposes...

In my opinion it had a German noble flavour.

If you make a small hop tea with a few pellets you should get the gist of the aroma it will add to the beer. Here's the taste sheet they supply: https://www.hopsteiner.com/wp-content/u ... rkules.pdf

Rookie
Even further under the Table

Post by Rookie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:48 pm

How large an amount were you thinking about using?
You could dry hop with a small amount (7 to 14 grams) and take a sample to taste after a few days and add more then if it's not hoppy enough for you.
I'm just here for the beer.

Fat boy quiff
Steady Drinker

Post by Fat boy quiff » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 pm

we are looking at a 70 ltr brew, so looking at 100g.
Still searching for the perfect pint.......It's been a long road.

FermentedCulture
Tippler

Post by FermentedCulture » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 am

You could draw 0.5-1 litre off into a bottle/growler then dry hop it over a day. You could even dry hop at different rates with more bottles. Extraction doesn't take that long, agitation helps too.

Jackthehat
Tippler

Post by Jackthehat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:08 pm

If you're googling for info, you may have more luck with Herkules (German spelling).

I got some from B&T a few years. They told me that they use it in their stouts, so I did the same. Given its high AA I thought that it may be a bit rough for aroma additions so I didn't try it. Perhaps I should have done.

Return to “Hops”