Southern Cross?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
raiderman

Re: Southern Cross?

Post by raiderman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Just bought two bags of southern cross. I'll use one for post boil hopping and one during the boil. Anyone know what to expect?

the_hibee

Post by the_hibee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:30 pm

I have dry hopped with these in a st peters IPA... Not tried yet only been in bottle for 2weeks

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:00 pm

What did they smell like? Citra simcoe moutueka rikawaka?

the_hibee

Post by the_hibee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:21 pm

They weren't that strong if am honest... Hard to tell

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 am

Bummer, I was getting quite excited about them! On the other hand I'm brewing with spelt of the first time so something pleasant but not over asssertive might fit the bill. I shall give em a go and if it seems a bit of a let down I'll go for Brewing Grade MSG -60g of citra in the cornie when I keg it will correct pretty much anything!

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:13 pm

They smell stryiany ie of not much. I've used 40g in the last 15m and 60g after the boil and in the FV there not much hop aroma. I'm wondering if I've ended up with a lager hop by mistake

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: Southern Cross?

Post by zgoda » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Wait for some time, I found there are varieties that need few weeks maturation to reveal any aroma, like Boadicea. No aroma at all at the beginning then suddenly miracle happens.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:56 pm

I tasted last night still too sweet to tell but there's something there. I'll take your advice and keg as it is

the_hibee

Post by the_hibee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Mines has been bottled for 3weeks n I tasted it not that great needs more time

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:09 am

It strikes me as another higher-yielding Americanized Fuggles replacement, sorta like Willamette. Nothing spectacular in its own rite, but a nice mild bitterness with faint citrus, spice, earth...

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:45 am

I like willammete ! I think the difference is that southern cross feels well smells and tastes like a lager hop. It does have the zing factor of citra which gives it the capability of being exceptional. On the other hand it may just have enough about it to lift a blonde beer and make it interesting in a more conventional sense. I am giving mine a few more weeks to see what develops

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:26 pm

I think southern cross is ok. I can taste the spelt malt which gives a nice body and the SC does give some citrus. Not much but in a Blonde summer brew it's quite nice. I don't think it would stand up to anything darker and would be nice in a lager I won't be chucking citra in to rescue it but not sure ill use it again