aramis hops?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
leedsbrew

Re: aramis hops?

Post by leedsbrew » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:03 pm

alfie09 wrote:whats a biere de garde?
It's a farmhouse style ale from northern France, similar (and in some cases very different to :wink: ) Belgian Saison. Saison and Biere de garde share a common ancestry from the farm house beers of Flanders and Wallonia before the modern borders of France and Belgium were established.
BJCP wrote:16D. Bière de Garde
Aroma: Prominent malty sweetness, often with a complex, light to moderate toasty character. Some caramelization is acceptable. Low to moderate esters. Little to no hop aroma (may be a bit spicy or herbal). Commercial versions will often have a musty, woodsy, cellar-like character that is difficult to achieve in homebrew. Paler versions will still be malty but will lack richer, deeper aromatics and may have a bit more hops. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Three main variations exist (blond, amber and brown), so color can range from golden blonde to reddish-bronze to chestnut brown. Clarity is good to poor, although haze is not unexpected in this type of often unfiltered beer. Well-formed head, generally white to off-white (varies by beer color), supported by high carbonation.

Flavor: Medium to high malt flavor often with a toasty, toffee-like or caramel sweetness. Malt flavors and complexity tend to increase as beer color darkens. Low to moderate esters and alcohol flavors. Medium-low hop bitterness provides some support, but the balance is always tilted toward the malt. The malt flavor lasts into the finish but the finish is medium-dry to dry, never cloying. Alcohol can provide some additional dryness in the finish. Low to no hop flavor, although paler versions can have slightly higher levels of herbal or spicy hop flavor (which can also come from the yeast). Smooth, well-lagered character. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-light (lean) body, often with a smooth, silky character. Moderate to high carbonation. Moderate alcohol, but should be very smooth and never hot.

Overall Impression: A fairly strong, malt-accentuated, lagered artisanal farmhouse beer.

Comments: Three main variations are included in the style: the brown (brune), the blond (blonde), and the amber (ambrée). The darker versions will have more malt character, while the paler versions can have more hops (but still are malt-focused beers). A related style is Bière de Mars, which is brewed in March (Mars) for present use and will not age as well. Attenuation rates are in the 80-85% range. Some fuller-bodied examples exist, but these are somewhat rare.

History: Name literally means “beer which has been kept or lagered.” A traditional artisanal farmhouse ale from Northern France brewed in early spring and kept in cold cellars for consumption in warmer weather. It is now brewed year-round. Related to the Belgian Saison style, the main difference is that the Bière de Garde is rounder, richer, sweeter, malt-focused, often has a “cellar” character, and lacks the spicing and tartness of a Saison.

Ingredients: The “cellar” character in commercial examples is unlikely to be duplicated in homebrews as it comes from indigenous yeasts and molds. Commercial versions often have a “corked”, dry, astringent character that is often incorrectly identified as “cellar-like.” Homebrews therefore are usually cleaner. Base malts vary by beer color, but usually include pale, Vienna and Munich types. Kettle caramelization tends to be used more than crystal malts, when present. Darker versions will have richer malt complexity and sweetness from crystal-type malts. Sugar may be used to add flavor and aid in the dry finish. Lager or ale yeast fermented at cool ale temperatures, followed by long cold conditioning (4-6 weeks for commercial operations). Soft water. Floral, herbal or spicy continental hops.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.060 – 1.080
IBUs: 18 – 28 FG: 1.008 – 1.016
SRM: 6 – 19 ABV: 6 – 8.5%

Commercial Examples: Jenlain (amber), Jenlain Bière de Printemps (blond), St. Amand (brown), Ch’Ti Brun (brown), Ch’Ti Blond (blond), La Choulette (all 3 versions), La Choulette Bière des Sans Culottes (blond), Saint Sylvestre 3 Monts (blond), Biere Nouvelle (brown), Castelain (blond), Jade (amber), Brasseurs Bière de Garde (amber), Southampton Bière de Garde (amber), Lost Abbey Avante Garde (blond)

I've just been reading Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski, and excellent book. Think I know what I'll be using my aramis for! :D

alikocho

Post by alikocho » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 pm

alfie09 wrote:whats a biere de garde?
A French farmhouse ale that is aged for some time. More detail here - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style16.php#1d

lancsSteve

Post by lancsSteve » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:48 pm

That has to be one of the broadest style definitions out there: any colour from blonde to brown, wildly varying strength etc.

Away from style guides the ones I've tried have tended to be sweeter, maltier and much less hoppy than saisons. La Goudale is probably best I've tried, Le petit klintz from from 'Brasserie Uberach' is lovely from further south in alsace,some more info at http://forum.touteslesbieres.fr/topic32 ... erach.html

Think recommended yeast would be
* WLP072 French Ale
PLATINUM STRAIN

Else kolsch or alt strains liquid, k-97 as best ale yeast or failing that nottingham or US-05 at lower temps as clean ale strains.
Clean strain that complements malt flavor. Low to moderate esters, when fermentation temperature is below 70F. Moderate plus ester character over 70F. Low diacetyl production. Good yeast strain for Biere de Garde, blond, amber, brown ales, and specialty beers
Attenuation: 68-75%

alsace has some great small breweries. Remember hearing that lots of small European breweries use nottingham or k-97 yeast but no evidence.

Note Wyeast 'biere de garde' special selection yeast is NOT from a 'biere de garde brewery but actually from fantome in soy who make funky spiced Belgian beers (black ghost being their classic) that are reputed to be variable in quality, popular in the US but seem to be treated with some suspicion or disparaging views in Belgium.

Markowski's book is great at reconstructing history and 'style'
Last edited by lancsSteve on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

alikocho

Post by alikocho » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:55 pm

lancsSteve wrote:That has to be one of the broadest style definitions out there: any colour from blonde to brown, wildly varying strength etc. Away from style guides the ones I've tried have tended to be sweeter, maltier and much less hoppy than saisons. La Goudale is probably best I've tried, alsace has some great small breweries. Remember hearing that lots use nottingham or k-97 yeast but no evidence.

Wyeast 'biere de garde' special selection yeast is NOT from a 'biere de garde brewery but actually from fantome in soy who make funky spiced Belgian beers (black ghost being their classic) that are reputed to be variable in quality, popular in the US but seem to be treated with some suspicion or disparaging views in Belgium.

Markowski's book is great at reconstructing history and 'style'
It is a broad style, somewhat like Saison. I quite like Jenlain Ambree. And yes, Markowski's book is the one to go for on these.

alfie09

Post by alfie09 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:01 pm

ha. i will stick to pale, crystal, black + chocolate malt lol. cheers all. you are all leaps and bounds ahead of me

lancsSteve

Post by lancsSteve » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:18 pm

alfie09 wrote:ha. i will stick to pale, crystal, black + chocolate malt lol. cheers all. you are all leaps and bounds ahead of me
Nah we're all in a rush to get back where you already are I reckon ;-)

naffolddog

aramis hops?

Post by naffolddog » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:11 am

Think I'll just stick to the Saison!

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Aramis have to say I have a few Hundred grams in my freezer and will be making a brew this weekend with Aramis.

I only have them as I was looking for my Aftershave ( Tuscany ) made by Aramis and stumbled over the hops, not used them so had to give them a go.

And if you know my brew days, Its sure to be off any style, but always tasty beer.

I may even go for a slow and low Lager type brew or a flavorsome malty Blonde.

alfie09

Post by alfie09 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 pm

let us know how you get on with them

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:33 pm

GARYSMIFF wrote:Aramis have to say I have a few Hundred grams in my freezer and will be making a brew this weekend with Aramis.

I only have them as I was looking for my Aftershave ( Tuscany ) made by Aramis and stumbled over the hops, not used them so had to give them a go.

And if you know my brew days, Its sure to be off any style, but always tasty beer.

I may even go for a slow and low Lager type brew or a flavorsome malty Blonde.
Read this a bit quick Gary, first thought was you were going to stick aftershave in the brew, and I wasn't even surprised. :lol:

alfie09

Post by alfie09 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:58 pm

:lol:

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Hello chaps i took the plunge and did this last weekend so i will find out what these hops give.
Dumped it onto some Moorlands yeast trub.

Ostlers Pale Ale
Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 5 EBC 8 lbs. 4.3 oz 3750 grams 94.2%
Crystal Malt 130 EBC 0 lbs. 8.1 oz 230 grams 5.8%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Amaris Whole 8.91 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 0.2 oz 7 grams 8.3%
Amaris Whole 8.91 % 15 mins 0 lbs. 0.2 oz 7 grams 8.3%
Amaris Whole 8.91 % 10 mins 0 lbs. 0.7 oz 20 grams 23.8%
Amaris Whole 8.91 % 5 mins 0 lbs. 1.8 oz 50 grams 59.5%

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.039
Final Gravity: 1.009
Alcohol Content: 3.8% ABV
Total Liquor: 32.3 Litres
Mash Liquor: 10 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 27.906470654377 EBU
Colour: 16 EBC
Drinking ,Arrogant Bsteward,Black Wit,Cream Rye Stout,
Conditioning,Tally Ho,Spitfire
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt
Coming up ,Old Spec Hen,Red IPA,Mega Hop Thing,Larkins Chidingstone,maybe a venture into Lager.
Love hops drink beer have a look here http://uk.ebid.net/items/ramengltddean

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Let us know what you think.

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Sweet! I've sorted my biere de garde recipe using aramis now. Will be one of my next brews!

charliefarley
Hollow Legs

Post by charliefarley » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm definitely wanting to try a biere de garde soon after I stumbled across an amazing beer at the weekend - http://www.page24.fr/english/french-lager-beer.php - I'm pretty sure it's biere de garde but not sure if it uses aramis hops, you could probably use anything as the hop presence was so little in it. Fantastic drink though!