flyer hops . first tastes

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
alfie09

flyer hops . first tastes

Post by alfie09 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:01 am

hiya all. just a quick update bottled my amber pale ale last night, and first impressions are super charged challenger hops, with a hint of citrus. absolute lovely i had a pint out of the fermenter. its going to be a good beer

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: flyer hops . first tastes

Post by barneey » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:03 am

Thats done it after weeks of hoovering over the buy it button, I`ve just purchased some flyer hops to try.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

barney

Post by barney » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:05 am

How would you describe the Citrus Alfie?

Orange, Lemon,Lime,Grapefruit?

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:16 am

+1 one on that.
My Pale ale is being bottled today. Had a half out of the conditioner last night, slight spice to it (not curry though) and definite citrus, I would say hints grapefruit, also lemony but not overpowering. Can't wait to try a proper bottle. It's a nice hop. :-)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

alfie09

Post by alfie09 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:45 pm

did you think it tasted like challenger to?

scuppeteer
Under the Table

Post by scuppeteer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Certainly something a bit Challenger about them but better I would say. When I first opened the pack I thought of Challenger until I smelled some real challenger and then wasn't so sure. We really need to find out who grows them and tell him to get planting some more this year. I'm off in the hedgerows next month to find a new hop myself! :-D
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

alfie09

Post by alfie09 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:37 am

i want to go and find some hops myself. do you think they would grow up here in north wales?. i have heard a rumour they grow local but i aint never seen them

scuppeteer
Under the Table

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Its possible Alfie, just get looking in the hedges. You might find something quite unique.
I've just found myself a lovely looking one growing on an old log pile on the edge of an orchard. Cones are quite big on it already so will be back collecting the hops in a week or so. Luckily I've got this week off so a bit of time to go and have a good look round to see what else I can find. I will be making notes where I find what so I can go back in the Spring and take a rhizome. :-)
Dave Berry

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi all that hop sounds FAB :D one of my favourate hops is Challenger. I spoke to will about flyer from charles faram he said there where going to wait to hear from the brewers about the results using flyer in there brews before planting a large crop and putting flyer through lab tests.My plan is iam going to brew Stout,Red bitter and a Pale ale to see where it fits best.What hops would you say would blend well with flyer? is flyer ok to be used as a single hop brew? Iam brewing a Ginger ale next week using Centinal for bittering and thinking of using Flyer for flavour/aroma what do you think?

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:43 pm

My test for the hop will be using a "classic ale" recipe that I`ve been using with my other "single hop" experiements, ie the next brew will only contain the "flyer hops" to get the fullest hop experience.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:41 pm

That's what i plan to do with my first brew with Flyeer then i will try blending Flyer with some English.American hops to see how well Flyer blends with other hops.

alfie09

Post by alfie09 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 pm

absolute stunning beer this, i am getting lots of citrus flavours, still a bit like challenger but thats fading now. going to order some more payday for sure

scuppeteer
Under the Table

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Update on this little chap. Flyer Pale Ale @ 4.5%ABV

It's nice, very nice.

Took a bottle into work today for an official tasting. Got a resounding thumbs up all round, even from the girls. We got tasting notes of: hints of orange, grapefruit and most excellent bittering qualities. This is a good all round hop. Possibly one of the best English ones to pop up recently. On the case with the grower please Mr Faram.
Dave Berry

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:57 pm

I heard from Peter Darby today that Flyer is one of his hops. It got as far as farm trials on three farms but was intended as a high alpha variety and as it only got to 10% alpha it won't be going any further. :(

scuppeteer
Under the Table

Post by scuppeteer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:09 pm

NOOOOOOOOO.... perfect dual purpose hop. Get me those rhizomes!!!
Dave Berry