flyer hops . first tastes

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: flyer hops . first tastes

Post by Eadweard » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm sure you could get some off Peter Darby, try contancting Wye Hops Ltd.

As to why Flyer isn't being picked up, it's 'cos it's not getting the alpha that was hoped for.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:37 pm

If it's all about alpha, then it seems the bigger brewers don't rate it as an aroma or dual purpose hop. Or haven't thought outside the alpha box.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:01 pm

I have brewed with Flyer now a few times and I thought personally it's not that great, there are far better new English hop varieties that warrant a lot more attention than flyer. Like Endeavour, now that is a sexy hop.The new English hops I want to try is Jester and Olicana can't wait to get my hands on them.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:58 pm

beer gut wrote:I have brewed with Flyer now a few times and I thought personally it's not that great, there are far better new English hop varieties that warrant a lot more attention than flyer. Like Endeavour, now that is a sexy hop...
I guess we all just have different things we're looking for in hop varieties, and "there's no accounting for taste." I tried an Endeavour hop trial recently and really disliked it. I wanted to like it--an English hedgerow hop bred to Cascade?!--that should be fantastic. But it really wasn't. To reinforce your point though, everyone else who rated the same beer liked it better than I did.

From my Ratebeer rating of Schlafly Hop Trial: Endeavour
On draft at the Tap Room in a half-pint glass. It poured a mostly-clear golden colour with weak white foam, some lace. Extremely neutral grainbill to emphasize the hops. Coarse bitterness, odd weedy and resiny characteristics, some mushy mango and cantalope melon. Unusual, not really in a good way. None of Cascade’s grapefruit, maybe a little sweet citrus and blackcurrant, but any similarities to American C-hops were definitely not big parts of Endeavour’s profile. Not exactly harsh but rough around the edges, like Target or Northdown. Not smooth, pleasant, harmonious. I hate to say it, because I’m a big fan of English hops, even several of their new high-alpha varieties, but based on this trial Endeavour is not a great hop and this wasn’t a great beer.