flyer hops . first tastes

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
beer gut

Re: flyer hops . first tastes

Post by beer gut » Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 am

Hi Zgoda all I have to say is keep trying with Boadicea and I would love to hear how the dry hopping turns out? The bittering qualities of Boadicea are excellent and undervalued, I think Boadicea needs more recognition and this is task comes down to merchants and home brew stores to complete.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed May 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Has it occured to anyone how much Flyer sounds like your old Omega, except that Flyer has a bit higher alpha acid percentage? Coincidence?

Have any of you brewed with both Omega and Flyer, and if so, can you offer any comparisons?
CULTIVAR: Omega

SELECTION: Seedling selection made at Wye College, England

PEDIGREE: Wye Challenger x English male

ORIGIN: Wye College, England

MATURITY: medium

LEAF COLOR: dark green

DISEASES: Downy mildew: moderately resistant, Powdery mildew: no information, Verticillium wilt: resistant, Viruses: free of all 5 hop viruses when received

VIGOR: fair to good

YIELD: fair to good

SIDE ARM LENGTH: 12 to 24 inches, sometimes longer

ALPHA ACIDS: 9 - 10 %

BETA ACIDS: 3 - 4 %

COHUMULONE: 29%

STORAGE STABILITY: very good, retained 78% of its original alpha acids after 6 months room temperature storage

OIL: 1.72 ml/100g. Humulene 17%; caryophyllene 5 %; farnesene trace; myrcene 53%. H/C ratio = 3.38

MAJOR TRAITS: pleasant European aroma characteristics, resistant to verticillium wilt

OTHER INFORMATION: The yield performance of this hop even in England has been disappointing and it is not grown much despite its good verticillium record. This is one of the last hops developed and released by Dr. R.A. Neve, former head of the Hop Section at Wye College, England.

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Has anyone tasted Magpie Brewery Flyer! Golden Ale out of Nottingham?

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:33 pm

From March 2012:
seymour wrote:
Eadweard wrote:I heard from Peter Darby today that Flyer is one of his hops. It got as far as farm trials on three farms but was intended as a high alpha variety and as it only got to 10% alpha it won't be going any further. :(
Did he, or anyone else for that matter, give any clues to its parentage? I'm not sure I fully believe this claim, "Flyer is a brand new experimental variety, it didn’t come out of a breeding program. One of our growers found it and thought he would take a ‘Flyer’ on it."

These things never happen in a vacuum. It would at least be interesting to know which brewing cultivars it was found growing amongst, and which males were grown within open-pollination range. Has anyone heard anything at all?...
Fast forward to today. Aha, vindication! "Found it and took a flyer..." my arse. Finally they start filling in the blanks.

FLYER

Breeding
Flyer is still on trial and has not yet been released for commercial growing. It results from a cross made in 2002 between a high alpha-acid female breeding line and a low trelliss-type male hop. Following promising results from advanced trial plots during 2007 and 2008, it was established on licensed farm trials with Wye Hops during 2009. The produce from the advanced plots was used for successful pilot brewing trials in 2010.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Seymour how did you plants get on?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:59 pm

barneey wrote:Seymour how did you plants get on?
Shhhh, I don't know what you're talking about. :wink:

critch

Post by critch » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:17 pm

black jack brewery in manchester do an excellent flyer ipa, i was very impressed by it loads of flavour, like a turbo charged challenger,with earthy fuggles notes (knew it was going to be good,blackjack are 3 ex marble [at its heyday] lads!)

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:53 pm

seymour wrote:
I have it on good authority that as you were using seeds, you effectively have a new "unknown" plant so no problems there. I still have about 4 "mileup" plants myself.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:21 pm

critch wrote:black jack brewery in manchester do an excellent flyer ipa, i was very impressed by it loads of flavour, like a turbo charged challenger,with earthy fuggles notes (knew it was going to be good,blackjack are 3 ex marble [at its heyday] lads!)
You lucky dog! I'm sure that was delicious. And I agree 100% with your description of Flyer.

Do you know if they're still using the Gales yeast strain which they used at Marble?
barneey wrote:
seymour wrote:
I have it on good authority that as you were using seeds, you effectively have a new "unknown" plant so no problems there. I still have about 4 "mileup" plants myself.
I'm sure you're right. If MI6 agents come bang down my door, I'll never reveal timbo41's part in the plot. Oh wait, oops.

critch

Post by critch » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:08 am

seymour wrote:
critch wrote: Do you know if they're still using the Gales yeast strain which they used at Marble?

yes they are mate

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:30 pm

I saw Peter Darby tonight and asked him about Flyer's parentage. He said it's all 'numbers and letters' as it's way back that any of its ancestors were commercially grown varieties with a name. Of the three farms it was trialed on only one is still growing it, and they didn't get a crop this year. They haven't grubbed it up so there should be some next year but it's really hanging on by its finger nails...

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:22 am

Eadweard wrote:it's really hanging on by its finger nails...
That'll be it's laterals! :lol:

HE phoned ME, last week for information! Not worthy... not worthy... :-$
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:07 am

scuppeteer wrote:HE phoned ME, last week for information! Not worthy... not worthy... :-$
That's super cool, Scupps. You're in the big leagues now. :)

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:56 am

Not terribly encouraging news that a good new hop like Flyer is not being picked up and run with by the growers. Is it down to demand from breweries, or some agronomic issue?

timmydog
Steady Drinker

Post by timmydog » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:05 am

If we knew which farms were growing them, do you think that they would be open to the idea of letting someone take some cuttings in exchange for some beers or cash?

I would be prepared to contribute, even if I had to wait for a year while the rhizomes grew to a size that would survive in the post...