flyer hops . first tastes

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
beer gut

Re: flyer hops . first tastes

Post by beer gut » Thu May 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Rob from the Malt Miller is really putting on a show with all these new experimental hops. Unfortunately I have no more space to buy anymore hops I think I might squeeze in some Sussex whole hop because this hop has a unusual hop profile for being English bred. In my fridge I have unopened Amarillo,Citra,Endeavour,Summer, Mouteka and a pack of Bram X put the silver packet has Blown so I don't know if I will have to chuck them out.

crimsongarlic
Steady Drinker

Post by crimsongarlic » Thu May 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Tell me about it! I have unopened packs of Beata, Sussex, Mandarina Bavaria, Minstrel, Archer, Flyer and El Dorado to use along with some already opened packs too.

I'm banned from buying any more from the other half. That's fair enough as I don't know when I'm going to be able to brew and drink all that I currently have.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu May 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Quit complaining about your treasure troves and get brewin'!

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 pm

I am brewing my Brown ale on Monday which is named after my late younger brother Michael. I brew this every year for his birthday and I take bottle and empty it on the place where his ashes where scattered, Newcastle Brown ale was his favourite drink. After this I am going to start my competition ales, American Wheat and American Amber ale.

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: flyer hops . first tastes

Post by zgoda » Fri May 10, 2013 6:30 am

So you say Boadicea is not up to expectations... Today I'll be brewing golden ale primarily to showcase this hop, planned 1 gm/ltr for 15 mins and then 1 gm/ltr for 5 mins, but I think I'll double that. ;)

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 am

Hi Zgoda. My experience with Boadicea is good well rounded bitterness with very delicate grassy aroma, I gave up trying to use Boadicea for aroma usage. I beleive you could blend a good English aroma hop with Boadicea if you wanted to use Boadicea late in the boil. I spoke to Rob from the Malt Miller about Boadicea he agreed with me about Boadicea lack of aroma so much so he said that Boadicea could be getting scrapped by the hop farmers because they just can't get the aroma out of Boadicea they where looking for. I am not saying Boadicea is a bad hop because it is not, I just think it should be down as a bittering hop and not as dual purpose. I have just brewed a smoked Rye ale using Boadicea bitterness and a very small amount of East Kent G at the finish and this brew has turned out FAB! The bitterness is rounded and balanced, just what is needed in a brew where the hop character is not needed. I know Adamns use Boadicea with great success so maybe I could contact them and get there take on Boadicea.

zgoda

Post by zgoda » Fri May 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Thank you very much. Will brew and see what it's worth for. 60 gms pellets is not that much to loose, specially that we have hot summer ahead. :)

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Fri May 10, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi I would love to hear about the finished product. After you have brewed I would like to know what you make of Boadicea and if you think it's right to scrapp Boadicea.

zgoda

Post by zgoda » Mon May 13, 2013 7:45 am

beer gut wrote:Hi I would love to hear about the finished product. After you have brewed I would like to know what you make of Boadicea and if you think it's right to scrapp Boadicea.
Finally hopped it to 1gm/ltr for 75 mins, 1gm/ltr for 15 mins and 1.5gm/ltr for 5 mins. Cold wort smelled nice, floral with some notes of grapefruit. Still have some pellets left, maybe it's worth to dry hop 1.5gm/ltr in secondary. But aroma is rather faint, intensity comparable to Challenger(?).

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Mon May 13, 2013 10:58 am

Hi Zgoda. When I bought Boadicea it was described to me as been alot like challenger, I agree there are similar in the bittering aspects although I think challenger has bolder bitterness. I think challenger has better aromatic qualities as well. I have used challenger in my bitters for both bittering and aroma usage. Do you think it's fair to scrap Boadicea after only a short time or do you think there should give Boadicea more time.? I still think before the hop suppliers/farmers scrap Boadicea there should change it from been a Dual purpose hop to been described as a bittering hop due to the lack of aroma qualities.

zgoda

Post by zgoda » Mon May 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Will wait and see. It's a 1.044 golden ale, so it shouldn't take too long to get the results. ;)

I'll report back as soon as it ends fermenting.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Mon May 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Sounds good. Looking forward to reading your results.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu May 16, 2013 2:35 pm

UPDATE on my Flyer x O.P. hops seedlings: more have sprouted and many of them have gotten taller and advanced from the first "seed leaves" on to the first set of true leaves, so it's time for me to grow them on in individual containers. I plan to post a new picture at that time. It's likely I'll damage some delicate roots in the transplanting process, but hopefully some will continue thriving. I counted 135 seedlings, so my odds of getting a few worthy plants is much higher than I expected!

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 pm

I picked up some Flyer from Dean t'other week through ebid. Was considering a SMaSH, but went for this instead this past weekend;

Flyer Pale Ale (Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale))

Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.07 %
Colour (SRM): 7.3 (EBC): 14.4
Bitterness (IBU): 42.9 (Tinseth)

87.92% Pale Ale Malt (Crisp)
2.42% Crystal 120
2.42% Crystal 60
2.42% Torrified Wheat
2.42% Vienna
2.42% Wheat Malt

0.6 g/L Flyer (10.95% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort)
1.5 g/L Flyer (10.95% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Flyer (10.95% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
2.4 g/L Flyer (10.95% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 75 Minutes. Boil for 75 Minutes
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Was originally gonna save the 1056 for an amber ale and brew this with a slope of Shepherd Neame yeast from brewlab but things got in the way and the pack was quite swollen...but at least the cleaness (or lack of character some might say!) should let the hops come through.
Good early signs despite the setbacks with my boiler during the brew, can't wait to try this one! And as others, will feedback some tasting notes.
Last edited by Cpt.Frederickson on Wed May 22, 2013 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

zgoda

Post by zgoda » Wed May 22, 2013 6:59 am

Ok, @beer gut, you are right. Virtually no aroma from Boadicea after fermentation. Maybe it'll get better when matured a bit, but I don't hold my breath. Bitterness is fine, very elegant, just no aroma I expected before fermentation started. Next try will be to see if Boadicea is any good for dry hopping.