First Gold dry hopping

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
RichardG

First Gold dry hopping

Post by RichardG » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Just wondered if anyone has used First Gold as a dry hop and if the results were successful.

raiderman

Re: First Gold dry hopping

Post by raiderman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 am

I've dry hopped First Gold in the FV and it gave good results

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:11 pm

F.G is fantastic fry hopped. Flavours are ver orange zest like. I usually go for 60g .

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:09 pm

I whole-heartedly agree. It possesses all the classic English hop characteristics, and is very popular for all additions, including dry hopping. I've read it's especially well-suited to dry-hopping ESBs.

I'm not sure if they're dry-hopped, but St. Peters Organic English Ale and Ringwood Boondoggle are supposedly hopped entirely with First Gold.
Last edited by seymour on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tec-9-7

Post by tec-9-7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Funny that this hop has come up for discussion... I've got a 56 g foil of these that I was trying to decide what to do with. I think I may use 42 g to bitter my OG Bishop's Tipple, and toss the other 14 g in as a dry-hop even though as I understand, this may not be perfectly correct to the beer.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:08 pm

tec-9-7 wrote:Funny that this hop has come up for discussion... I've got a 56 g foil of these that I was trying to decide what to do with. I think I may use 42 g to bitter my OG Bishop's Tipple, and toss the other 14 g in as a dry-hop even though as I understand, this may not be perfectly correct to the beer.
Sounds delicious. Gibbs Mew actually used Challenger, Fuggles, and Goldings, but First Gold is extremely similar in profile. Plus, they've been out of business for over 15 years, so I doubt you'll ruffle any feathers making minor adjustments. :)

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:54 pm

I'd add floral to the description Its a very nice hop and if i couldstop myself filling the freezer with Simcoe and Citra I brew with it more often

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Splendid, I'll have a go then. I'm planning a FG bitter and was pondering whether it would be worth dry hopping. Think I know the answer to that one!

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Small bump ..have just modded a finlandia bitter kit with 500g crystal wheat and same caramalt....have 100 g first gold from MM..guess where they're going in about a week!
Just like trying new ideas!

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Good plan man! Cracking dry hop. I'm brewing with them soon.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:46 pm

They're just a great all round hop. Lovely flavour and aroma how ever you use them. I combined them with El Dorado in a Saison style and it was fab. Then tried the same schedule in a chocolate Saison with the same fantastic result.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri May 02, 2014 9:49 pm

scuppeteer wrote: combined them with El Dorado in a Saison style and it was fab.
I had an Evil Twin European lager brewed with US hops. £15 a pint. We ordered pints. I like your style the barman said. In a way that's sad Women used to say that about me. But back to the present. It was an awesome pint. There's good reason why US brewers are embracing Belgium styles. I think there's an interesting line to pursue brewing with saison yeasts possibly Belgian pale malt and American hops because they work so well

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Fri May 02, 2014 11:53 pm

Very true, I also think that the orange flavours you get from both of the hops I used just went so well with the yeast. My beer was weak (5.9%) in comparison to some Saisons but enough to want to drink more than one bottle at a time! ;)
I have a plan next time I brew it to use Orange zest in the FV as well.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sat May 03, 2014 8:19 am

scuppeteer wrote:Very true, I also think that the orange flavours you get from both of the hops I used just went so well with the yeast. My beer was weak (5.9%) in comparison to some Saisons but enough to want to drink more than one bottle at a time! ;)
I have a plan next time I brew it to use Orange zest in the FV as well.
If you look at the Seymour citra gold thread you'll get some thoughts on orange zest