Mosaic

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
raiderman

Mosaic

Post by raiderman » Wed May 15, 2013 4:20 pm

I read this is like citra on steriods so although it was pelleted I thought I'd have a go. Someone reckoned that 150g was more than enough and I kept to around 160, so I behaved. In the bag it had nmore of the halletau parentage (which I assume it has) coming through rather than the raving grapefruit and citrus you get with rikawaka and er citra. I chucked 10g in at the start fwh to give a little under current of bittterness then, 10g with 20 to go, 10g with 10 40g with 5 and 50g having chucked some ice in and cooled to around 80c and I couldn't see that bunging some more into the fv can possibly do any harm so I was restrained and went for 40, which leaves room for dry hopping the cornie too.
I'm using T58, to give the hops a run for their money. Prior to pitching there was a lovely fruit salad aroma coming off, in the fv the slightly sulphery effect of the T58 makes smelling pointless, but so far so good.

Morten

Re: Mosaic

Post by Morten » Wed May 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Nice, I just received 500 grams today

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Wed May 15, 2013 4:42 pm

I'll let you know how it develops.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Wed May 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Tried an all Mosaic brew the other week, really powerful and spot on with the fruit salad aroma. Mind you the chap that brewed it did put 15kgs in a 4 barrel brew! Very tasty though, I think you'll enjoy it.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Morten

Post by Morten » Wed May 15, 2013 6:20 pm

scuppeteer wrote:Tried an all Mosaic brew the other week, really powerful and spot on with the fruit salad aroma. Mind you the chap that brewed it did put 15kgs in a 4 barrel brew! Very tasty though, I think you'll enjoy it.
15 kgs??!!!?!

:shock:

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Thu May 16, 2013 9:13 am

Fruit salad is spot on.Its starting to clear and with the dry hops in for 24 hours I tried it last night and as the T58 subsides its taSTING GOOD, BUT QUITE A BIG HALLETAU LIKE feel to it, it'll be intersting to see how it develops

barney

Post by barney » Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 am

Its bloody awful, who wants fruit sodding salad beer.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Thu May 16, 2013 10:07 am

Hi barny what's wrong with having a ale that is realy fruity? everyone to there own but for me i love ales that have strong fruity flavours. For example i brewed a stout for crimbo last year and i used Galena and Bram x at 60 min and at 2 mins this stout had a fantastic Black current/ bramble black berrys coming through it was FAB! i am planning a citra and centennial American I.P.A., i love citra's powerfull Tropical fruit Nuclear melt down flavours, the only thing i find puzzling is people say to much citra has a cat pee taste i have never found this have any of you found this? Barny what do you like flavour and aroma wise in your brews?

barney

Post by barney » Thu May 16, 2013 10:34 am

Hello Beer gut, You keeping, ok Mate?

These fruity Beers( cant bring myself to call them Ales) are only one step away from half a carling with a splash of lime juice if you ask me. :) They are girls drinks. Why not just by bland lager and add a bit of tropical fruit cordial if thats what folk are after. You see so many recipes with lager malt and a bit of wheat and a fruity hop comboo thrown in, where is the craft in that?

I like hops to support, balance and enhance the maltiness of a nice grain bill, Your stout sounds right up my street. I think the skill is to tickle the palate with subtle flavours and aromas, I dont need hitting round the head with it, I think thats crude.

I like English style hops which I consider to be floral and spicy rather than overly fruity, My current favourites are Challenger, Fuggles, Sovreign, Apollo and one i like a good bit is Galaxy.

Each to there own though... I like dark beers, Milds, Porters, and Strong bitters..... Ales. :)

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

Hi Barny I 1000% agree with you on this chemical shite with a hint of lemon toilet cleaner. I myself a big fan of English hops I have just bought a pack of Endeavour hops which I can't wait to get stuck into. Even though I am a fan of few American hops especially Amarillo I agree every recipe I see for American brews has crazy amounts of hops added at the end which must affect the brew from clearing? The one hop I see everywhere is Cascade which must be a good hop yet I have never used for the very reason that this hop has been done to death. I was told that from the British hop association that British hops are losing ground due to brewers using American hops rather than using English hop varieties, so I say we need to start using more British hops that way it will protect are hop farmers. In your opinion which English hop would work well with Amarillo In a premium pale ale.?

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 am

I've brewed with Endeavour and its a nice hop, but without the excitement and danger of the new world. Challenger will go well with Amarillo. Cascade and challeger work well too and give a more english feel to a beer

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Thu May 16, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanx for info Raiderman. May I ask what ale did you brew using Endeavour? Did you find that Endeavour matched the discrimination given? How did Endeavour perform on the bittering front? Would First Gold work well with Amarillo? Or would there be to much Orange flavour in the finished product?

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Thu May 16, 2013 12:34 pm

For Endeavour I went fairly light, mainly MO, with perhaps a killo of wheat and 300g carapils, then all late hopped up to an IBU of around 43 - hopping statred with 30m to go, 15, 10, 5 and chucked the rest in at 80c - 100g in total. It was nice, the cambridge collective of Jims last drink thought it a bit like Chimay , which is good enough for me. Its got a nice flavour, hedgerow probably suits it best, I expected some citrus but didn't get any and when I brew again I think some underlying bitterness will help and I might try say 10g of citra or simcoe as a bittering hop - so the citrus doesn't dominate but comopliments.
I suppose challenger might do instread As for First gold with amerillo I've never tried. I don't see why not

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Thu May 16, 2013 1:31 pm

my plan is to brew a ESB style bitter with ebu's at 40 using Endeavour as a single hop bill or a might use a little North Down for bittering purpose. I then plan to brew erhier a Brown ale or a porter using Endeavour for bittering and finishing with maybe with a touch of Bram x or fuggles to blend at the finish. I have had my eye on Eldarado hop for sometime now but there is very little to go on so it will have to be a experimental pale ale and see what happens, I did a American Black I.P.A. Last year ago using simcoe and I was very impressed with both flavour and aroma of the finished brew.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 pm

barney wrote:Its bloody awful, who wants fruit sodding salad beer.
All things in moderation. At beer festivals, I've tasted a couple cask conditioned ales, faithfully brewed in true-to-style English and German dark ale traditions, but then Mosaic dry-hops added to the cask. In each case, they were complex and delicious, the best of both worlds in my opinion. Used in such a way, I felt the unexpected tropical fruit notes were complimentary to the Old World aspects, not overwhelming.