Mosaic

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
raiderman

Re: Mosaic

Post by raiderman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:54 pm

wheat is intersing. My mosiac is an oddy. Its 23l, 20% wheat malt, 80% MO plus 200g carapils and using T58 but rather than come out as a straightforward blonde it is reminicient of a wheat beer in some respects and the mosaic, which was virtually all late additions fits in beautifully. On the other hand my actual wheat beer which was 80% wheat and used citra and a wheat beer yeast is a bit thin and whilst refeshing next time I'm tempted to up the wheat in the mosiac and add just a tad of citra to give a hint of grapefruit and it could be a great summer beer

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:32 pm

That's sounds like a cracking recipe. I have just tasted my single hop wheat beer it is a little thin but the taste is Fab. I was surprised the honey I added has survived the fermentation because it has lovely honey notes and with the Lemon from the Liberty it all fits rather well. My only concern is there a little to much pheanols coming through wich will cost me points in the competition, I kept the fermentation between 17oc to 19oc which I thought would make more of a nutral finish. I used WB 06 yeast.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:24 am

I have to declare several pints over a bottle and a half of wine each so it's amazing I can hit the joeys Actually I vacant but apples spellcheck kicks in. I'm a t58 wheaty brew mosaic works well excellent summer brew

barry44

Post by barry44 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:42 am

i tried my mosaic single hop last night after two weeks in the brew fridge warm conditioning.

I put it in the fridge for an hour prior.

it poured beautifully, lovely colour, head and carbonation.

the smell and taste was a lot more subdued than when i bottled it.

the taste was nice, i could see where the comparison to fruit salad sweets comes from but it was only a hint.

It was a nice drink but i am hoping it comes together more when i leave it in the cold for a few weeks.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:34 pm

barry44 wrote:

the taste was nice, i could see where the comparison to fruit salad sweets comes from but it was only a hint.

It was a nice drink but i am hoping it comes together more when i leave it in the cold for a few weeks.
I used T58 and thats combined nicely to produce whats starting to come together as a pleasant summer beer. Moasaic is quite pleasant and I do thinjkk with the stella hops being in short supply that it might be a good base hop for a late cita addition and a citra dry hop, in order to stretch the citra out a bit between several brews. I've just kegged a similar brew which used a blend, including mosaic, but I chucked 30g of citra into the cornie and I think that might add a nice citrussy overtone.

BenB

Post by BenB » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:11 pm

I went to the home brew shop mash course yesterday and they were brewing a S. Ace and Mosaic mixture pale. The mosaic (pellets) had a good old smell on the nose- quite fruity / citrusy but with a bit of spice on them too. Relatively restrained for a US hop, generally I stay well away from them :) I know some people had high expectations of Mosaic and felt it was rather subdued compared to hops like Citra- for me that's a good thing! I once heard someone describe a Citra-based beers as sucking a lemon through an old tea-bag. Summed it up for me nicely. Each to their own. I'd be tempted to go for some Mosaic in something like an old ale, maybe an ESB, nothing too much. Just a bit of fruitiness. They did say it's only pellets currently and a few of the shops seem to be restricting Mosaic orders- definately the "new kid on the block"....

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: Mosaic

Post by zgoda » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:57 am

To me Mosaic goes extremely well with some citrusy hop like Centennial. It's super fruity but lacks in citrus department.

killer

Post by killer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:13 pm

zgoda wrote:To me Mosaic goes extremely well with some citrusy hop like Centennial. It's super fruity but lacks in citrus department.
+1

Don't know if you've tasted the Kernel breweries Centennial/Mosaic Pale Ale ? What a beer....

zgoda

Post by zgoda » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:33 pm

No, it all comes from my own experience. :)

barry44

Post by barry44 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:28 pm

zgoda wrote:To me Mosaic goes extremely well with some citrusy hop like Centennial. It's super fruity but lacks in citrus department.
i'm having some of that this weekend i think.

Do you have a recipe?

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Just had Adnams Mosaic in the Kington arm. Drove to Manchester and back and thought I deserved a pint! Not a bad drop and in Adnams hands it comes out like a cross between cascade and citra but dialect back.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:21 pm

raiderman wrote:Just had Adnams Mosaic in the Kington arm. Drove to Manchester and back and thought I deserved a pint! Not a bad drop and in Adnams hands it comes out like a cross between cascade and citra but dialect back.
Dam you auto spell check. Dialled back