Mosaic

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
barney

Re: Mosaic

Post by barney » Thu May 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Hello Beergut, I have most success using Amarillo with Simcoe, As to combing it with an English hop I have not tried it that way. I suspect it would go very well with Sovereign.
First wort hop with Sovereign and as a first attempt I would make a blend 2:1:1 goldings, fuggle, Amarillo and then use at 1gltr 20 mins and 1/2g ltr 80°c Steep for 60 minutes, That would be a red hot brew on a nice malty base.

barney

Post by barney » Thu May 16, 2013 6:45 pm

seymour wrote: All things in moderation. At beer festivals, I've tasted a couple cask conditioned ales, faithfully brewed in true-to-style English and German dark ale traditions, but then Mosaic dry-hops added to the cask. In each case, they were complex and delicious, the best of both worlds in my opinion. Used in such a way, I felt the unexpected tropical fruit notes were complimentary to the Old World aspects, not overwhelming.
Hi Seymour I would not want to brew with again, the flavour just does not make me want to drink more of it.

I may try a dry Hop experiment with a short brew length.

I always preferred Black Jacks anyway rather than Fruit Salad

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu May 16, 2013 7:16 pm

barney wrote:...I always preferred Black Jacks anyway rather than Fruit Salad
Cool. I hear you. What are Black Jacks?

jaberry

Post by jaberry » Thu May 16, 2013 7:17 pm

They're liquorice chews Seymour

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu May 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Ah, gotcha. The healthy choice. :)

barney

Post by barney » Thu May 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Not quite Seymour,

They were Sweets when we were kids, all the rage. We had a penny Mix at the shops on the way to school. used to get a few shrimps, fried eggs, fruit salad, blackjacks, cherry lips and a bubbly, Allsorts of sugary, and chemical infested stuff.

Now liquorice beer is another story.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... w&dur=2293

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu May 16, 2013 9:10 pm

barney wrote:...They were Sweets when we were kids, all the rage. We had a penny Mix at the shops on the way to school. used to get a few shrimps, fried eggs, fruit salad, blackjacks, cherry lips and a bubbly, All sorts of sugary, and chemical infested stuff.

Now liquorice beer is another story.
That reminds me. My brother-in-law (another brewer) is married to a Danish woman, who turned him onto "sorte svin" (black swine), which is apparently Danish or Finnish salty hard black licourice candies dissolved in vodka. He always carries a little flask along on our winter hikes. :) We keep talking about incorporating that concept into a porter recipe...

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi all from what I have read the use of licorice in ale goes way back especially in darker ales. What I found fascinating is the use of nettles before we used hops they also used nettles when the churches deemed hops devil plants and band the use of hops in brewing beers. In the early years of Egypt Brewers where either Middle or Higher class and where highly valued by the pharaohs and where given very expensive burials.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sun May 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Just kegged the Mosaic. Interesting I think I like it. I'd expected something more citrusy but I get pears and something I can't put my finger on. Nice aroma. Be interesting to see how it matures

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Sun May 19, 2013 6:22 pm

scuppeteer wrote:Mind you the chap that brewed it did put 15kgs in a 4 barrel brew!
Wonder who that was... :lol:
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Sun May 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Befuddler wrote:
scuppeteer wrote:Mind you the chap that brewed it did put 15kgs in a 4 barrel brew!

Unpronounceable can be a bit liberal with the hops at Steel City Brewing

critch

Post by critch » Thu May 23, 2013 4:21 pm

good old steel city :D

ive only tried one beer with mosiac and i thought it was glorious!

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu May 23, 2013 8:30 pm

Befuddler wrote:
No comment... again! :wink:
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed May 29, 2013 1:01 am

Case in point: tonight is Cask Night at Schlafly. They put out a cask of their American Brown Ale, unfiltered with additional Mosaic dry hops. I know I'm on here criticizing over-the-top American hops and boring Chico yeast all the time, but hot damn this is a bloody fantastic beer! (Just think how much better it would be with English bittering hops and yeast, but I digress...)

They just released it in cans too, for the first time ever. My next canoe trip/campout is going to be off-the-hook!

If you're interested, click this link (or any of their other beers, too). Unlike most English breweries, they practically give away all their recipes.
http://schlafly.com/beers/styles/schlaf ... can-brown/

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Wed May 29, 2013 10:32 am

Hi all that Brown ale sounds Fab. I am from place where Newcastle Brown ale was first brewed so Brown ale is in my blood. I have a American Brown ale recipe that I have been trying to get round to brewing and I had plans use some maple syrup as a guest star ingredient.