Grassiness

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Mcbrewer
Steady Drinker

Grassiness

Post by Mcbrewer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi....I brewed a bells two hearted ale clone which is all centennial hops.I dry hopped with 74 grams of pellet hops for 5 days and the ale was really grassy when I bottled and mini kegged it.
I have just opened a bottle which is 4 weeks old now and it still has a really fresh grass taste and smell to it.Will this fade over time or will it always have it.
It will still get drunk by myself :D but I can't see my mates liking it :( .

killer
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Grassiness

Post by killer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:08 pm

I dry hop most of my beers and I mostly make American/NZ IPA's
I find that typically the grassiness does subside over time... but it seems to depend on the hop. I also find 5/6 weeks to be a bit of a turning point where nig hop flavours settle down.
I once accidentally dryhopped the same day I pitched the yeast and it never went away.
Hang on maybe two more weeks and try again. I wager it will be less noticable as time goes on.

On a side note - centennial is a very floral hop - so some "green plant" flavour is not unexpected.

Mcbrewer
Steady Drinker

Post by Mcbrewer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Thnx for the reply and I will try one again in a couple of weeks and see where it is.Hopefully it will calm down a bit if not they will still get drunk.Centennial is definitely very floral :D

mark4newman

Post by mark4newman » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi

I use to get a grassy flavour from dry hopping. High carbonates, older hops and dry hopping with Cascade seem to be the problem for me.

However, I seem to avoid it by

1) Making sure the hops are really fresh. Buy them as soon as they become available and then freeze them
2) Low cohumulone hops , seem to have less grass in them
3) High levels of Carbonates seem to bring the grass out
4) I tend to dry hop, when it is chilled or just when I have turned the temp down for the crash cool.
5) I Never dry hop for more than a week

Hope that gives some pointers.

Mcbrewer
Steady Drinker

Post by Mcbrewer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi...I will try your suggestions the next time I am dry hopping.I dry hopped the beer for 5 days at ferm temp of 18c then I crashed it down to 2c for two days then bottled it.Hopefully it will die down a bit.
I have read centennial has got a reputation of being grassy.

Mcbrewer
Steady Drinker

Post by Mcbrewer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:00 pm

A bit of a update.
Due to low stocks and curiosity I have just poured a pint of this from a 5 litre mini keg and I've got to say it is now superb. =D> It has got a tiny bit of the grassiness left but it is so smooth and crystal clear now and still has bags of hop flavor left.
It's taken six months to come good :roll: but I'm glad I didn't pour it away like I was going to do.