What Hops would you not brew with again?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
octoscott

Re: What Hops would you not brew with again?

Post by octoscott » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Liberty is a hop that left me very underwhelmed.

dynamic dave

Post by dynamic dave » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Vic Secret Pellets 2013 Harvest 16.1% Alpha This new Australian variety is related to Topaz but brings far more tropical fruit.
High alpha which I found killed of fruit tones.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:30 pm

Hi folks my ultimate hate is WGV it just Wrong!Wrong! Wrong! In every aspect. I have never had one decent pint of beer brewed using WGV. Yet I love First Gold which is bred from WGV. I also like sovereign but a lot of folks are not so keen.

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:45 pm

I almost brewed with Sorachi Ace purchased on a whim. After researching I dry hopped some Coors lite to see if it was lemongrass / citrus as advertised. Ended up with foul dill weed, off coconut flavour. Gave them to a friend who's going to experiment with them.

0 stars. Would not try again.

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Favourite... Centennial
Worst.... Citra & Cascade
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2021......... 104
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

barry44

Post by barry44 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Sorachi ace for me.

Weird but not in a good way.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:41 pm

I must admit I have never brewed with shcori ace but I have never fancied it. I was told that it has a onion and garlic after taste which does appeal to me in a beer, maybe in a sandwich with some medium rare lamb rump steak but not in a beer.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:36 pm

beer gut wrote:I must admit I have never brewed with shcori ace but I have never fancied it. I was told that it has a onion and garlic after taste which does appeal to me in a beer, maybe in a sandwich with some medium rare lamb rump steak but not in a beer.
Okay, okay. Have any of you guys actually brewed with Sorachi Ace? And I don't mean soaking them in Coors. I mean actually boiled them in wort and fermented them? If not, then how do you know how they perform, really? Then again, like someone else mentioned, you've tasted Sapporo right? It's a macro adjunct lager, and very lowly hopped I grant you, but those are Sorachi Ace exclusively. It didn't taste like onion and garlic, right? It's all matter of taste, but I guarantee good beer can be made with Sorachi Ace hops, when done right. Sorachi Ace's unexpected spiciness is delicious in a Saison or another peppery farmhouse style, for instance.

Some people say that same onion and garlic stuff about Challenger, Northdown, Phoenix, Pilgrim, Progress, Marynka, Flyer, Columbus, etc. Surely we've all tasted delicious, non-oniony/garlicy beers made with those.

Sorry...getting off soap box now...

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:43 am

My Coors lite test was to see if it would be a good dry hop flavour wise in the style of beer I was making. I've loved the smell of all hops I've come across and could imagine what flavour they'd impart, and it smelt odd. Asking around and reading about people who had brewed with it prompted the odd dry hop test. Glad I only wasted a few bottles of Coors (purchased specifically for the purpose) than 25 liters of what could be amazing brew when dry hopped with something more suited to my taste.

Not saying Sorachi Ace can't be used to make a decent drink - it's a commercially successful hop used in some very successful beers, however, it's not for my palate. Big, Citrus style hops are, although, other people don't like them and think they taste of cat.

Different strokes...

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:26 am

Maybe I was being a little judgmental so I am sorry sorchari ace fans. I have brewed loads with challenger hops very nice, I have a new found passion for pilgrim and Endeavour.Then there was Flyer which was very disappointing in my view but I have never found anything onion like in these hops. What do you guys make of Boadaciea hops personally I found them flat and bland only use was at the start of the boil where the bitterness was ok.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:22 am

beer gut wrote:Maybe I was being a little judgmental so I am sorry sorchari ace fans...
No offense taken, mate. I'm the judgmental one. I just couldn't tell if people were regurgitating the bad press, or if they were truly describing "What Hops Would You Not Brew With Again?" By all means, if you've brewed with a hop and didn't like it, dog it all you want, that's the whole idea here.

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:03 pm

octoscott wrote:Liberty is a hop that left me very underwhelmed.
What was it about Liberty that left you underwhelmed? Liberty is a fairly bold hop for being a Hallertau Mittelfrueh-derived triploid.