What Hops would you not brew with again?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Re: What Hops would you not brew with again?

Post by robbarwell » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:15 am

Not really used a bad one yet if used properly..I'm struggling with my Brewers gold at the moment though

tec-9-7

Post by tec-9-7 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:24 pm

I flavored a pale ale with Bramling Cross and was not a fan. They gave a strong black currant flavor which I found overpowering. I'd certainly try them for bittering however I would not use an ounce as a flavoring hop again. I also am not a fan of Chinook - even as a bittering hop, it is far to coarse for my enjoyment.

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 pm

tec-9-7 wrote:I flavored a pale ale with Bramling Cross and was not a fan. They gave a strong black currant flavor which I found overpowering. I'd certainly try them for bittering however I would not use an ounce as a flavoring hop again. I also am not a fan of Chinook - even as a bittering hop, it is far to coarse for my enjoyment.
Bramling Cross are excellent in a stout.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:23 am

Well I've only had one 100g pack of these, but on the basis of that, Challenger. Really didn't like the flavour as a dry hop or going in late in a separate brew. There are other hops that I'm happy with for bittering, so I can't see where these will ever fit in again.

+1 for Cascade (or should that be -1?). I'm just not a fan of Grapefruit.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:47 am

leedsbrew wrote:Aurora! Aka Super Styrians! Just tasted like soap to me!
Speaking of soapy, I just drank a Phoenix hops trial today. It was fine, not unpleasant but not really memorable either. Except it was noticeably soapy. Has anyone else noticed that about Phoenix?

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:06 am

seymour wrote:
leedsbrew wrote:Aurora! Aka Super Styrians! Just tasted like soap to me!
Speaking of soapy, I just drank a Phoenix hops trial today. It was fine, not unpleasant but not really memorable either. Except it was noticeably soapy. Has anyone else noticed that about Phoenix?
Reckon they didn't rinse properly! :lol:

Not noticed that myself, quite a nice hop I thought but then I have only had a proper brew with them in a green hop beer. I will be trying them this week in a very low ABV bitter with Admiral. Any strange flavours should be noticeable I reckon. Fingers crossed. :wink:
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:12 am

scuppeteer wrote:
Clibit wrote:I'm kind of with you. I could do with some guidance on Fuggles, which is probably an odd request. They seem to taste like someone threw some soil into the FV. Yet I've had some good beers with them in. I am thinking of using mine up in dark beers and for bittering. And not buying again, unless something happens to change my mind.
Have you ever tried brewing them with Goldings as well? Fuggles are a dying variety in the UK but as you mention they do have distinctly earthy characteristics. They do work well in darker beers, but quite a waste for bittering (although effective) as the AA% is generally quite low.
In a 5-gall batch I use 45g Fuggles (4.9% AA) at 90 mins with "first wort hopping" and 15g Goldings (4.6% AA) at 15 mins. Works beautifully in either a bitter with crystal malt or a golden ale with pale crystal and gives a lovely deep succulent flavour. You could add a few Goldings as aroma and/or dry hops too if you like a more up-front hop taste. Fuggles aren't just for dark beers.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:41 pm

tec-9-7 wrote:I flavored a pale ale with Bramling Cross and was not a fan. They gave a strong black currant flavor which I found overpowering. I'd certainly try them for bittering however I would not use an ounce as a flavoring hop again. .
If you got black currant from them then you got exactly what they are known for :D If you are after a clean bittering hop try Warrior or Magnum :beer:
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Apollo. It's certainly.....errr......unique :roll:
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

TheSheeprug

Post by TheSheeprug » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:27 am

mysterio wrote:Oh yeah, Bobek. Revolting. Soapy and acidic.

Cascade is kind of harsh early on then mellows out into a nice lychee/violet floral flavour.
I used 100% bobek in my recent pale bitter at about 37 IBU. Its quite drinkable, but I think my least favourite brew ever. Acidic citrusy tones override everything else. I suppose it might work OK in smaller quantities, but not one for me I'm afraid.
Sr

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:23 pm

TheSheeprug wrote:
mysterio wrote:Oh yeah, Bobek. Revolting. Soapy and acidic.

Cascade is kind of harsh early on then mellows out into a nice lychee/violet floral flavour.
I used 100% bobek in my recent pale bitter at about 37 IBU. Its quite drinkable, but I think my least favourite brew ever. Acidic citrusy tones override everything else. I suppose it might work OK in smaller quantities, but not one for me I'm afraid.
Sr
In my latest experiment with Bobek I used only 4g in a 5-gall batch, added at flame-out, in the hope of making it more subtle. I have to report that it doesn't work in smaller quantities either. It's still far too citrusy for me, in a slightly rank cattish way. I don't think this hop does subtle.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:35 pm

I made a beer last year that was (in 11 litres) Maris Otter, Munich 10%, sugar 10%, wheat 5%, Chocolate malt 1%, Aurora 10g@60 and Bobek 12g@15, Bobek 7g@0, 32 IBUs, US05. I wasn't sure at first but after about 3 months in the bottle i realised I loved it. The very last bottle after about 6 months was sublime, one of my best if not the best.

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:32 pm

#-o #-o Hi

Boadicea was horrible...

Never again...
#-o

Bobek and super Styrians I've liked when I've brewed with them, but I gave had commercial beers that tasted like soap...?

Go figure...

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:49 pm

Experimental CF115. I did an IPA single hop with them several months ago and it's just not nice. They were described as 'spicy honey' but they are kind of sickly and spicy in my opinion. Might go well with something earthy like fuggles though
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

andybiochem

Post by andybiochem » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:12 am

I've done quite a few single-hop beers, and these I won't be buying again:

Ahtanum - all orange and tangerine flavours, yuk
Amarillo - same as ahtanum
Pilgrim - 'nothingy' flavour, wouldn't have even known I'd added them
Challenger - too earthy/muddy
Simcoe - such an obvious hop now, a bit of a cliche. Not even *that* nice.
Green Bullet - weird earthy flavour, not nice
First Gold - ugh. Orange again. (Might well have been off, though)

My favourites are:

Styrian Goldings - the 'Landlord' and 'Hobgoblin' hop, versatile & complexed flavours
Cascade - another cliche, but fab flavour
Chinook - harsh, but has a unique smokey flavour that I love
Galena - nice tropical/fruity hop
Citra - fruity & grapefruit
Centennial - I've convinced myself this is the dominant Jaipur hop (could well be wrong)
Kohatu - a little odd, but some good tropical flavours
Progress - prefer over fuggles, a bit sweeter?