What Hops would you not brew with again?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: What Hops would you not brew with again?

Post by orlando » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:06 pm

barneey wrote:
Have I got a harsh taste bud problem?
Obviously :roll:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Nofolkandchance

Post by Nofolkandchance » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Bobek, tried it in 3 different brews and didnt like it

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:51 pm

bob3000 wrote:My homegrown bramling X is really harsh, I'll give it a few more go's but not keen so far :( got loads of it.
Are you sure its a Bramling? Not a characteristic normally associated with the variety. :?
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:18 pm

I won't be rushing to try Boadicea or Aramis again.

Nigel1969

Post by Nigel1969 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Some very informative replies, thanks fellas. On a personal note, I tried Saaz, with unsavoury results. Too grassy, earthy. Unless it was my brewing :shock:

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Pinto wrote:Never brewed with... and never will. Simcoe.
I have brewed with it several times but not any longer. Too much one dimensional pine ........at least for me

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:29 am

Oh yeah, Bobek. Revolting. Soapy and acidic.

Cascade is kind of harsh early on then mellows out into a nice lychee/violet floral flavour.

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:15 pm

scuppeteer wrote:
bob3000 wrote:My homegrown bramling X is really harsh, I'll give it a few more go's but not keen so far :( got loads of it.
Are you sure its a Bramling? Not a characteristic normally associated with the variety. :?
That's what the guy I got it off said. I'll give it a few more go's. Might try it for bittering as well and see what happens.

FarmBrew

Post by FarmBrew » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Mosaic...better more "AMERICAN" hops out there...not sure why it was released.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:30 am

6470zzy wrote:
Pinto wrote:Never brewed with... and never will. Simcoe.
I have brewed with it several times but not any longer. Too much one dimensional pine ........at least for me

Cheers
By itself? It goes very well with amarillo. Last year I brewed an amber using simcoe, summit, and saphir that turned out great.
I'm just here for the beer.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am

Fuggles probably, every time I've bought them they have been rubbish. I assume I've been getting bad batches they are that poor

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:00 am

I'm kind of with you. I could do with some guidance on Fuggles, which is probably an odd request. They seem to taste like someone threw some soil into the FV. Yet I've had some good beers with them in. I am thinking of using mine up in dark beers and for bittering. And not buying again, unless something happens to change my mind.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:28 am

Clibit wrote:I'm kind of with you. I could do with some guidance on Fuggles, which is probably an odd request. They seem to taste like someone threw some soil into the FV. Yet I've had some good beers with them in. I am thinking of using mine up in dark beers and for bittering. And not buying again, unless something happens to change my mind.
Have you ever tried brewing them with Goldings as well? Fuggles are a dying variety in the UK but as you mention they do have distinctly earthy characteristics. They do work well in darker beers, but quite a waste for bittering (although effective) as the AA% is generally quite low.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:44 am

I absolutely love Fuggles, one of my top three hops for sure. I've had plenty of bad batches, though. The best ones I've had have honestly been the US grown variety, which I put down to freshness and handling to the homebrew market. Comparing the US Fuggles to UK Fuggles side by side here in Canada (from Hop Union, in nitrogen sealed bags) and the US Fuggles smell amazingly fresh and make beer very similar to some of the good UK Fuggles i've had back home. I go 100% Fuggles in my bitters, aroma and dry hopping they work well too.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:16 am

I'm up to Ag batch 11 and as yet have not used Fuggles and Goldings together. I will persist, I want to like them! I think i do like them, in some of the commercial beers I have had which I know use Fuggles. Also, I'm still on my first batch of Fuggles, so I will order again.

I've got this idea that I may prefer Willamette to Fuggles, for my own beers at least, and that I could sub it in recipes calling for Fuggles. Similar but different. The micro I have spent a couple of days at uses Willamette for aroma in all its brews, they only use American hops. The brewer came from a regional where I think they used Fuggles for aroma. Fuggles is his favourite hop, so I guess he subbed Willamette cos the owner wants 100% US hops. Making a few assumptions there.

Another idea I'm hatching is to use a blend of hops to alter the Fuggles effect, and try to find a blend I like. Maybe it's an acquired taste. So maybe combine it with another aroma hop like Styrians or Cascade. I wouldn't put it with something like NS or Citra tbh, for fear of ruining their flavour, they cost more!