Nelson Sauvin and Styrian Goldings for Christmas

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
sweatysock
Piss Artist

Nelson Sauvin and Styrian Goldings for Christmas

Post by sweatysock » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi all,

I got two packets of hops for Christmas; Nelson Sauvin and Styrian Goldings. I have had a look around for inspiration on what to brew with them. I may do a SmaSH with NS but not so sure what to do with the SG. I have used it as aroma hops in small quantities in the past, but not a primary hop. Again I dont think it would be that bad with a standard bittering hop and use it for aroma.

Any suggestions for the two?
Sandy Bottoms Brewery
Drinking:
KK 1: MT
KK 2: MT

Without beer we would be mere machines!

Matt

Re: Nelson Sauvin and Styrian Goldings for Christmas

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Styrian Stunner is an old forum favourite recipe, there are numerous threads on it, it's a cracking pint

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Landlord uses Styrian and EKG, (according to Graham at least). I've brewed it a couple of times and found it very tasty. It uses equal amount of EKG and Styrian in the boil and a late addition of Styrian at 10 mins to the end. In fact I'm planning to brew it again in the next day or two.
Best wishes

Dave

sweatysock
Piss Artist

Post by sweatysock » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi thanks. I had thought of TTL, but I have brewed it before. I do like the sound of Styrian Stunner.
Trouble with this brewing lark is that you want to brew it all now, but it also requires consuming. That reminds me, it is time to go to the fridge and help with the consumption. The hops are tucked up in the freezer so will be good until the new year.
Sandy Bottoms Brewery
Drinking:
KK 1: MT
KK 2: MT

Without beer we would be mere machines!

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Would recommend pairing the nelson sauvin with another hop. Did a nelson smash last year and it was a weird beer, very winey. Others on here have said the same in other threads.
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

AnthonyD

Post by AnthonyD » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:11 am

I had a Saison last night from Weird Beard Brewery that was 100% NS. Was a very tasty pint. The wine flavour really complimented the Belgian yeast.