Growing hops in the south east

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
brewtalk

Growing hops in the south east

Post by brewtalk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:49 pm

I'm planning to grow hops this year and I've done some research on pots and how to train them to climb, i just have a few questions I'm not fully confident it will work.

1,Hops like sunlight and England is not amazing for warm and sunny days, will they grow allot slower? as i have read they are very hardy and the cold won't kill them off completely.

2,I'm thinking of growing challenger? or can you recommend a alternative for bittering and aroma that will thrive better with English weather

3, pest control I've read of ways to kill off the pest that will ruin my growing ambitions, are they any reliable organic methods for pest control? (not very green fingered)

4, If anyone in east Anglia(Ipswich, felixstowe etc) have established plants I'd like to know how they fair? and if you have root cuttings from last year i would appreciate offers.

thanks in advance!

Underground Joe

Re: Growing hops in the south east

Post by Underground Joe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:48 pm

The Brewing Network did a really interesting podcast about hop growing on 23rd March 2013.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:50 pm

1. Hops grow well in the UK. I.e. Kent hop farms. Look up hops growing threads on jbk.
2. Most hops will grow well. Just some are harder to get cuttings.
3. Pest control. Lace wings and lady bird larve are good. Spray bottle with soft soapy water also good for bugs.
4. I am in Colchester they grow well considering I neglect them. Not sure if they survived winter yet. As cut them back last year as took a break from brewing.
Only time will tell.

You need big pots, as they grow like weeds.
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

huckwell

Post by huckwell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:51 pm

May dad has numerous plants in south Norfolk that all grow well with minimal work and fussing. A south facing plot is a must though to guarantee a good crop.

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Just wondering if the potato growing bags I bought last year would be big enough to grow hops in. They measure about 18inch deep and are about 10 x 10 inch square across.
planning on dwarf varieties for a start which grow no more than 10ft tall.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Redimpz they will work, but require constant watering in summer so they dont dry out.

Not sure how well they will crop as hop roots do go very deep.
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm

thanks, I've also got a trug that could do as a large pot, it is only 12 inch deep though so I'm not sure that it'll be deep enough but it is bigger than the potato growing bags

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Get 'em in the garden proper if you can. They'll thank you for it.