Quality of hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
SiHoltye

Quality of hops

Post by SiHoltye » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:13 pm

Pondering how pungent hops in the homebrew supply chain are. Has anyone considered them side by side with pro bales direct from merchants?

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Quality of hops

Post by jaroporter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:02 pm

i been privileged enough to intercept hops before they even got to the merchants (straight off the farm), and to my [admittedly untrained, probably numbed through abuse] senses there wasn't any real difference. i guess there's more scope for hops sold through homebrew chains to have been mishandled along the way - especially in transit and repacking - but when handled correctly i've not noticed a difference..
dazzled, doused in gin..

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Hops from HBS are only handled once more than commercial, for packing into handy 100g packs. So you would be very unlucky to have a hop of the same harvest to be any worse condition than if bought direct.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Malt millers hops are excellent :)
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Massive variation........

I have some 2012 that are usable but under-whelming,... re-packaged floor sweepings comes to mind.

Whereas, I had a bag of Nelson Sauvin in the drawer, not refrigerated at all, 2010 silver wrapped sealed from Worcester Hop Shop.
... well I wrote that bag off a few years ago and last month at 4 years old I opened her up.

Wow,.... not cheesy, vibrant green, no brown edges and what a blast of aroma.
.. straight in boil kettle for steep in a hop blaster now re-named 'Hop-Hound', pleasant surprise indeed.

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:59 pm

roscoe wrote:a hop blaster now re-named 'Hop-Hound'
That is awesome. Good to know that I'm not the only one giving things epic doom-laden names. :lol:
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:40 pm

I have not much faith in leaf hops very often brown and so many leaves and few cones. I don't think you get much taste from leaves. I now buy as fresh as I can T 90 hop pellets . All nice and green and quite sticky if you rub one. :D

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:38 pm

I'm using more and more pellets these days too.
I more often than not buy from Rob, and I've always found his quality to be very good/excellent. Leaf hops are always going to deteriorate quickly once they are dried and you may get something from the edge of the bale or right from the middle....there's just no way of knowing.
I've gone on to pellets really from a storage point of view, but they do seem to offer better freshness and more consistency.