Hop cutting swaps

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
JabbA

Hop cutting swaps

Post by JabbA » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi guys n' gals, I've got established Fuggle and Challenger bines and a two year old EKG plant growing in the garden, would anyone like to swap some rhizome cuttings? I'd love to get some Cascade growing!

Cheers,
Jamie

crafty john

Re: Hop cutting swaps

Post by crafty john » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:54 pm

I have an established First Gold a Hallertau and a Tettenang, unfortunately my labels where lost in the process of moving a couple of years ago so I can only be sure of the first gold, they are well established and I could take some cuttings if you want to do a swap.

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:59 am

I could do you some Cascade for a challenger. Be aware though that UK grown Cascade can't really compare to US.

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:17 am

chivelegs wrote:I could do you some Cascade for a challenger. Be aware though that UK grown Cascade can't really compare to US.
How so Clive, less citrusy and more grassy? Are they worth growing, I've only got space for, well the wife will only let me plant, one more plant!

I'll happily send you a challenger cutting, PM me your address.

Cheers,
Jamie

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:18 am

crafty john wrote:I have an established First Gold a Hallertau and a Tettenang, unfortunately my labels where lost in the process of moving a couple of years ago so I can only be sure of the first gold, they are well established and I could take some cuttings if you want to do a swap.

Ooo, First Gold would be a nice edition to the garden! What cuttings would you like John? PM me your address and I'll get the secateurs out at the weekend!

Cheers,
Jamie

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:10 pm

Less Grapefruit/ citrus, and a lot more earthy. I've some Hallertau that turn out much nicer in the UK climate.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:48 am

UK Cascade are very much worth growing, not as punchy as their American sisters but very fine all the same. So much so that we now use them in our Best Bitter as opposed to the American's as we did previously. We have to use 1/2kg more but I'm sure sales have increased because of it since we changed over. I will be getting some cuttings myself this Spring. :)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:19 pm

aren't your plants already growing yet?

Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Mine aren't but you live in the perfect place not like here up north :cry:

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:38 pm

first shoots up today!

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am

Sorry John, family life got in the way of spending anytime in the garden before it got dark over the weekend, I'll be sure to take some cuttings this week!

Cheers,
Jamie

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:33 am

No worries mate, same here not enough daylight hours to get everything done :roll:

iann41

Post by iann41 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:08 pm

i've got a progress hop plant for swaps if anyone is interested. i was given it as a cutting 2 years back and its still potted up in a 12" pot.

just poking it's little shoots up at the moment.

i live in sheffield so it's used to being up north

i'm after a basic bittering hop if possible.

Ian

pofke

Post by pofke » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi there,

I have some obscure, but quite nice varieties to swap:
Marynka - dual purpose, high alpha, very earthy, spicy liquorice like smell. Very prolificient, big harvests.
Žatec - Czech Saaz hops. Noble, low alpha, low yield.
Istra 15 - Russian hops, very early, midrange alpha, mainly bittering, but quite interesting aroma too.
Smolesty - Russian hops, early, old school hops.

Maybe I'll have:
Klon 18 - Ukrainian Saaz variety, a bit more resilient with the same aroma characteristics.
Kauno derlingieji (Kaunas Fertile) - a Lithuanian hop variety bred from noble hops and wild Lithuanian hops back in the 60s. Noble hop profile and increased yields.

Would like to swap by mail, as I'm in Lithuania. Would be interested in Fuggles, EKG, Cascade, Willamette, Challenger or any other variety.

pofke

Post by pofke » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi there,

I have some obscure, but quite nice varieties to swap:
Marynka - dual purpose, high alpha, very earthy, spicy liquorice like smell. Very prolificient, big harvests.
Žatec - Czech Saaz hops. Noble, low alpha, low yield.
Istra 15 - Russian hops, very early, midrange alpha, mainly bittering, but quite interesting aroma too.
Smolesty - Russian hops, early, old school hops.

Maybe I'll have:
Klon 18 - Ukrainian Saaz variety, a bit more resilient with the same aroma characteristics.
Kauno derlingieji (Kaunas Fertile) - a Lithuanian hop variety bred from noble hops and wild Lithuanian hops back in the 60s. Noble hop profile and increased yields.

Would like to swap by mail, as I'm in Lithuania. Would be interested in Fuggles, EKG, Cascade, Willamette, Challenger or any other variety.