Hop Growing 2014

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
jmc
Even further under the Table

Hop Growing 2014

Post by jmc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Thought I'd start off the annual growing topic with a bit of good and some bad news.

The good news. When splitting my Cascade and generally tidying up yesterday I saw that most of my hops had started to shoot.

The bad news: I noticed that my ivy plant was infested with black-fly already :shock:
They like this as it fruits overwinter and yesterday was 1st decent day we've had for ages so they all woke up.

The mild winter is to blame, so keep an eye on hops as I think aphids will be a real problem this year.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: Hop Growing 2014

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:12 am

Blimey that's not good this early in the year. :shock:

If you want an eco friendly way to reduce pests then I've heard that growing French Marigolds alongside will keep the nasties off the hops as they are attracted to the brighter flowers first. Certainly be trying it myself this year to see if it works.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

iann41

Post by iann41 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:12 pm

the marigolds attrack hover flies which then eat green fly and aphids. another good reason to plant them. Ian

jmc

Post by jmc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try the French marigolds this year.

Only silver-lining to having the black-fly infest the ivy so early is I can try out more eco-friendly mixes on the ivy first, before using on hops later in the year.

Now where did I put that quassia bark....?

andybiochem

Post by andybiochem » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 pm

My effort for this year...

Last year wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, grew Goldings and Cascade. The cascade succumbed to the wind and never progressed, and the goldings were very poor... in fact I've binned the goldings rhizomes.

Now I have planted out: Progress, WGV, Perle, Styrian Goldings, and Cascade (x2 different plants).

They're planted in Ikea tubs for this year (in case I don't want to keep the plants), with the intention of planting them in the ground next year if they're good.

Lined up against a South-West wall.

Progress

WGV

Perle

Styrian Goldings

Cascade (new rhizomes)

Cascade (last year's rhizomes, as supplied by a JB member)

I've also got some seeds chilling in the fridge to plant out, see if I can grow my own variety!

Got some good growth already, here's to a good 2014!!!

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:11 pm

I've got 8 second year chinooks I grew from seeds in pots. Hopefully will weed out the useless fellas this year. Also planted in potting compost and put on windowsill 8 Amarillo seeds for this year.[WHITE SMILING FACE]

Evanvine

Post by Evanvine » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Damn it Andy, you're way further north than me, yet your hops are much more advanced!

jmc

Post by jmc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Evanvine wrote:Damn it Andy, you're way further north than me, yet your hops are much more advanced!
I'm in Beds. Mine are sprouting now but no leaves yet.
Last year I found that placing a cloche over each rhizome helped it in spring.

I used old 5L Ashbeck PET bottles. Just cut bases out.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:05 pm

Making my first foray into hop growing this year with a Wye Challenger rhizome from Aplus. Got it planted around a week ago... Just North of Aberdeen, could be pushing it a bit perhaps!

Andy, I notice your rhizomes are pretty much on the surface of your soil. The instructions I got from Aplus was to put them 2-3 inches below the surface, it's clearly working out for you though, any wisdom to share?

Cheers
Jamie

Evanvine

Post by Evanvine » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:57 pm

When I weed my hop beds, I find the rhizomes at 2-3" below the surface.
A-Plus could well be right.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:44 am

Evanvine wrote:A-Plus could well be right.
As they are a reputable supplier they would give the correct method. Andy's rhizomes will be more susceptible to the elements particularly frost. I suggest that he builds up the soil around each one to form a hill. The shoots will push through the soil anyway and so planting below the surface will make them more secure. The WGV is far too exposed, the roots are bare and will not draw as much from the soil as it could.

As a reminder, if growing in pots, keep an eye on the moisture of the soil regularly, particularly in warm weather. They will also need plant food as they get bigger because it is not as naturally available as it would be if they are planted in the ground. I found that a moisture retentive compost such as Miracle grow moisture control is very effective if you are unable to keep a regular check.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Evanvine

Post by Evanvine » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:11 am

scuppeteer wrote:As they are a reputable supplier they would give the correct method.
I am fully aware of that, I was being flippant!

andybiochem

Post by andybiochem » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Jambo wrote: Andy, I notice your rhizomes are pretty much on the surface of your soil. The instructions I got from Aplus was to put them 2-3 inches below the surface, it's clearly working out for you though, any wisdom to share?
scuppeteer wrote:Andy's rhizomes will be more susceptible to the elements particularly frost. I suggest that he builds up the soil around each one to form a hill. The shoots will push through the soil anyway and so planting below the surface will make them more secure. The WGV is far too exposed, the roots are bare and will not draw as much from the soil as it could.
I'd say you guys were right, they probably are planted too high. I also got mine from Aplus, so probably got the same instructions as Jambo...must have, um, lost them somewhere :roll:

IANAG (I am not a gardener) but I thought planting them high would prevent rot of the bit of root producing shoots. There is plenty of root below the surface for each plant, the WGV rhizomes sent were huge/long. I do admit though that I pray to the hop gods every time I have to de-ice my car in the morning...though we've only had 3-4 properly frozen mornings this year here in sunny Doncaster.

So far they've held on in there, so I'll let them be.

They're probably a little more advanced than they would be as they've been indoors over winter - I think they were delivered in Nov-Dec? Can't remember exactly when. The conservatory has been at around 10 degrees all winter, and I've been chopping back any shoots that form. The Progress roots are just crazy, a couple of new shoots every week or so!

I've got further plans for an automatic watering system yet, but need to get SWMBO on board.

boingy

Post by boingy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:14 pm

They need to be deeper. Rather than disturb them, just increase the soil level a few inches. They'll thank you for it.

Evanvine

Post by Evanvine » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:48 pm

andybiochem wrote:They're probably a little more advanced than they would be as they've been indoors over winter
Thank you for that little gem Andy, was considering moving to Doncaster!