Dry hop bag weight

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
gibbiem

Dry hop bag weight

Post by gibbiem » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 pm

What does everyone use as a weight in their dry hop bag? Planning a brew and gonna try weigh the bag down this time. Thanks

Belter

Re: Dry hop bag weight

Post by Belter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:29 am

I have used stainless nuts/washers and also glass yeast vial. Anything heavy that can be sanitised. I think some people use marbled but have had them crack and splinter glass.

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 am

Nice one, I was thinking about a brass nut and washer I have left over from making my tun?

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:56 am

gibbiem wrote:Nice one, I was thinking about a brass nut and washer I have left over from making my tun?
Brass won't be a problem

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:52 am

That's good news.

crimsongarlic
Steady Drinker

Post by crimsongarlic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:55 am

A heavy shot glass works for me.

Nofolkandchance

Post by Nofolkandchance » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:16 pm

gibbiem wrote:What does everyone use as a weight in their dry hop bag? Planning a brew and gonna try weigh the bag down this time. Thanks
Use pellets. Much better for dry hopping IMHO

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:39 pm

Can you get citra in pellets?

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Pretty much anything

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:29 pm

gibbiem wrote:Can you get citra in pellets?
Yes you surely can get Citra in pellets.
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 pm

gibbiem wrote:What does everyone use as a weight in their dry hop bag? Planning a brew and gonna try weigh the bag down this time. Thanks

Personally I use stainless steel nuts and bolts, a little more resilient than other metals.
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:37 am

Another question. How do you clean your hop bag? Last time I emptied the hops out and stuck it in the wash resulting in bits of hops all over the washing along with the smell of hops and an angry missus ha ha

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:46 am

gibbiem wrote:Another question. How do you clean your hop bag? Last time I emptied the hops out and stuck it in the wash resulting in bits of hops all over the washing along with the smell of hops and an angry missus ha ha

I use muslin bags and would only use them once. Preboiling them before use to sanitise

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:55 am

Belter wrote:
gibbiem wrote:Another question. How do you clean your hop bag? Last time I emptied the hops out and stuck it in the wash resulting in bits of hops all over the washing along with the smell of hops and an angry missus ha ha

I use muslin bags and would only use them once. Preboiling them before use to sanitise
Where do you get them from Belter?

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:14 am

Most homebrew shops but I got it from eBay in a big pack about a year ago. I've since had some negative results dry hopping so have stopped. I'd agree with the above that pellets are far better but they still get sucked up the siphon tube a little