El Dorado??

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Deebee
Even further under the Table

El Dorado??

Post by Deebee » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:59 am

Hi.

I got given 100g of El Dorado. Its at about 15%.
Never heard of it.

What sort of properties does it have ( is it another oneof the citrus tasting US hops for example)?

Thanks
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

bigdave

Re: El Dorado??

Post by bigdave » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:34 am

From Malt Miller:

Intense stone fruit aroma, dual purpose hop.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Love it, love it, love it! Made a couple of saisons with them, one normal and one chocolate. Used first gold alongside for bittering and dry hop and they are great. I got a lot of orange off them and maybe a bit apricot. Nice hop.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Jimmy321

Post by Jimmy321 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:46 pm

I made an AIPA style single hop with this just to try.

Pale Malt with 8% crystal 150
60 min boil with equal amounts of hop additions at
60 min
30 min
5 mins
flameout
5.6%
69 IBU's

Turned out really good , planning on making this again with Magnum at 60 mins.

Deebee
Even further under the Table

Post by Deebee » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks gents.
Was thinking of using them in a 10.5% barley wine to around 65-75 IBU

thoughts?
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:51 pm

I did a single hop IPA, heavy late additions and dry hopped. I wasn't crazy about it, a little oniony, grassy and watermelon. It's in the same mould as summit if you've tried that.

AnthonyD

Post by AnthonyD » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:45 pm

I love El Dorado.

I made this a short time ago and it's the best home brew I've ever made, out of about 10 other recipe's:-

Recipe: IPA Two
Brewer: Anthony Davies
Asst Brewer:
Style: American-Style India Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.81 Imp gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.25 Imp gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.25 Imp gal
Bottling Volume: 2.75 Imp gal
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 10.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 86.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 96.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 63.8 %
1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM) Grain 2 21.3 %
0.40 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (50.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.5 %
10.00 g El Dorado [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 mi Hop 4 17.0 IBUs
5.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 m Hop 5 5.7 IBUs
0.30 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 6 6.4 %
15.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 7.6 IBUs
15.00 g El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 11.5 IBUs
15.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 9.9 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 4.1 IBUs
20.00 g El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 6.1 IBUs
50.00 g El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 1 Hop 12 19.1 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 13 5.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 14 -
60.00 g El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.70 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.02 l of water at 70.4 C 65.0 C 90 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.35Imp gal, 2.91Imp gal) of 75.6 C water

JKaranka

Post by JKaranka » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:18 pm

I've been happy blending this with other fruity hops. I've used the El Dorado a tad early and then heavily in steep and dry hop. It's given some sweet cherry jam / melon sort of flavour. I'd describe it as relatively sweet for a hop, which is a bit odd. Warming and bitter too. It would probably bitter ok but that's a waste of the main aroma qualities of this particular hop.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Did a single hop. Wouldn't again, but could be good blended with other hops, not sure what. Maybe Centennial, as in the recipe above.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:47 pm

scuppeteer wrote:Love it, love it, love it! Made a couple of saisons with them, one normal and one chocolate. Used first gold alongside for bittering and dry hop and they are great. I got a lot of orange off them and maybe a bit apricot. Nice hop.
+1 I'm drinking my way through a third batch of all-El Dorado Pale Ale. So fruity. I bet the orange Scupps detected came from the First Gold. By itself, El Dorado is not a very citrusy hop, maybe a little sweet tangerine or clementine, but none of the intense grapefruit of so many US hops. Mellow, tangy, well-rounded, no harshness or weediness. Definite apricot, peach, nectarine, cantalope melon, mango, green grape, honey, Juicy Fruit gum. Pairs well with lightly caramelized malt. Delicious.
Clibit wrote:Did a single hop. Wouldn't again, but could be good blended with other hops, not sure what. Maybe Centennial, as in the recipe above.
I'm sure a Centennial & El Dorado beer would be tasty, but I fear the Centennial would completely overpower the subtler El Dorado fruitiness. I think Scupp's First Gold pairing is smart. I'm planning to combine Belma, Crystal, El Dorado sometime soon.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:58 pm

mysterio wrote:I did a single hop IPA, heavy late additions and dry hopped. I wasn't crazy about it, a little oniony, grassy and watermelon. It's in the same mould as summit if you've tried that.
I pick up a very different flavour profile to that of summit. Summit leans more towards amarillo than anything else IMO.
In fresh beer I think it is quite a muddle of flavours......a real 'fruit bowl'. With a little age to it, the orange starts to through very powerfully.
I used to think I liked it a lot; but I probably wouldn't brew with it again to be honest.

JKaranka

Post by JKaranka » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:23 pm

It made a wicked well hoppy pale ale with Mandarina Bavaria! :D

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:55 pm

JKaranka wrote:It made a wicked well hoppy pale ale with Mandarina Bavaria! :D
That makes perfect sense, I bet it was delicious. I brewed a similar APA for a contest next week which contains:

El Dorado (First Wort Hops, for a 60 min boil), El Dorado and Hallertau (15 min remaining), massive Citra dry hops for 1 week.

As you probably know, Hallertau is a region in Germany, Mandarina Bavaria is grown there, and is considered Germany's answer to Citra. Citra, for that matter is bred from Hallertau hops too.

critch

Post by critch » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:20 pm

ive done one with cascade, 'bout 25 ibu all late hopped, 50/50 split on hopswas rather good to say the least!

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:46 am

critch wrote:ive done one with cascade, 'bout 25 ibu all late hopped, 50/50 split on hopswas rather good to say the least!
Critch, I've been amazed at another aspect of El Dorado which might interest you as a commercial brewer. I've been consulting for a brewery which made an all El Dorado APA back in June. Very basic: 90% pale, 10% crystal 40L to about 6% abv and 60 ibu. Hops at 60 min, 30 min and lots at the end with a high extraction from whirlpool, but I don't think this one was dry hopped. We both know the cliche story of IPAs, lots of hops to survive the long sea voyage, blah, blah, blah. Never mind that, I'm making the opposite point right now. You know how IPAs are really best very, very fresh? And that the best hoppy aroma traits typically fade pretty quickly? Now I know, if it's well-crafted the beer can remain tasty overall, but not quite as complex as the very first week or two?

Well, this El Dorado APA was really hoppy and delicious, but after several weeks was taken off line so something else could use the tap, and the remaining kegs sat in the walk-in until a few weeks ago when a tap opened up again. I tried it again 4-5 months later and would you believe it was just as hoppy?! It really tasted and smelled like an absolutely fresh, just-tapped-today IPA. I've never experienced another IPA hop variety which holds up like that.