Characteristics of Good Hops: 1888 & 1891

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Characteristics of Good Hops: 1888 & 1891

Post by seymour » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:49 am

I discovered lots of great historical brewing information in these old books. They both feature lengthy discussions of hops, but I found the following excerpts especially interesting:
From The Theory and Practice of Modern Brewing: A Re-written and Much Enlarged Edition of The Art of Brewing, by Frank Faulkner, published by F.W. Lyon, 1888, London, England

p. 31 "…There are, of course, many degrees of value, a great deal depending upon variations in flavour, wide distinctions being apparent in this respect between hops cultivated in the Continental districts and those of home [England] growth. The reason for this variation in value is evident to every brewer, and each has his own special view respecting the subject of flavour, some giving preference to the wild Worcester hops, others to varieties of Farnhams, while many of our porter brewers are fond of the peculiar-flavoured Americans."

This is one of the few instances I've found were historic English brewers actually liked American hops, in some beer styles at least. We know from actual brewing journals they were using quite a bit of them, but most commentaries I've read attribute it to cost-cutting, desperation in times of poor yield in England or Contintental Europe, etc, not an intentional artistic preference as implied here.
p. 34 "…Finally, good hops of any variety should have large cones, strobiles of a pale delicate yellow colour, slightly tinged at extremities, and when opened out the inclosed seeds should be found copiously covered with lupulin; there should be an entire absence of leaf, and the proportion of stem should be small, while this and the minute branches should be carefully examined microscopically for mould. Rubbed down between the hands, they should feel glutinous and oily, while the sample itself should appear tightly compressed. As for flavour, each judge has his own special proclivities, the majority preferring the "Goldings" of middle and East Kent; others the "white bines" from the Farnham district; while another section consider the finer descriptions of Worcester hops preferable for delicate-flavoured beers. The Mid-Kent and Sussex hops are by comparison altogether second rate, and even in the case of the better varieties of hop, their flavour depends very much upon exact character of soil and the skill of the hop farmer…"
The Manual of Brewing: Scientific and Technical, by Egbert Grant Hooper, published by Sheppard and St. John, 1891, London, England

p.197-198 "Kent, Surrey, Hampshire, and Worcester are counties that in England have longbeen famous for their hops. Kent, however, holds the first position both from quantity grown and the quality of the hops produced; and after Kent hops, those grown in the neighborhood of Farnham, and especially a variety known as "Goldings," are most esteemed, and command the highest price. These hops are valued for combining the two properties which brewers prize, delicacy of flavour and cleansing power; in other words, Kent hops are rich in the essential oil which carries the agreeable flavour, and in tannin, which precipitates the albumin of wort. A variety of hop grown in the neighborhood of Canterbury, and known as the Canterbury Grape, is much esteemed, whilst the Worcestershire hops, though somewhat lacking in strength or cleansing power, are noted for their delicacy of flavour, and are especially valuable, therefore, for use in the cask or vat after the beer is finished. A limited quantity of a strong variety suitable for use in porter brewing, and known as the North Clay Hop, is grown in Nottinghamshire. With regard to foreign hops, we make the following quotation from Dr. Graham's remarks on the subject:

"Amongst French hops, those grown in Alsace are perhaps some of the best. The Belgians are much inferior, especially those grown near Alost, which are rather coarse. The finest hops perhaps in the world are those grown in Bohemia. Perhaps in so saying I may stir up some English prejudices, for we no doubt consider some of our Kent hops as good as any, but you must bear in mind the German brewer does not permit these best hops to come to England, for he is prepared to pay a much higher price than an English brewer, and we shall hereafter see why. Amongst these Bohemian hops, the finest of all, as regards delicacy of flavour, are those grown near Saaz; they are not so valuable for the purpose of cleansing and producing store ales, but they are excessively fine in their delicacy of flavour and aroma, and hence are used after fermentation. As regards Bohemian hops, the well-known hops grown near Spalt stand in the very first order for their value in cleansing and beer-keeping qualities…

To the enumeration of foreign hops may be added those of the United States. American hops were formerly very inferior, and especially coarse in flavour. Cultivation and improvement in the varieties grown have, however, done great things, and some samples from the other side of the Atlantic are, in the present day, everything that could be desired."
That's a great summary of what leading English brewing authorities thought 120+ years ago. I was surprised how much still rings true, but I'd love to hear what you guys think about all that. Do you agree or disagree? Which parts in particular? What has changed? How and why? Which modern English varieties are descended from aforementioned Worcester and Farnham hops?

Cheers,
Seymour, "a peculiar-flavoured American"

Belter

Re: Characteristics of Good Hops: 1888 & 1891

Post by Belter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:29 am

That's awesome. Like you say still rings true. I find it funny that we couldn't get Saaz because Germany paid a higher price. Saaz is still considered the best hop in the world today by many...

Although back then Saaz wasn't used until for dry hopping. Afaik and I could be wrong a lot of pilsners are brewed with pure Saaz. So thing have changed slightly.

Interesting to read that Anerican varieties were 'coming of age' so long ago. Look at them now....

Thanks for sharing Seymour

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Excellent work.

The Farnham whitebine is the oldest of the hops mentioned, and it was from cuttings of whitebines that the Golding in Kent and the Mathon in Worcester were grown .

I've done a lot of research into Farnham hops:

http://edsbeer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/f ... e-hop.html

http://edsbeer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/g ... dings.html

And since the second on the posts listed was written I've talked again to Peter Darby and so should tweak it a bit. He considers the Farnham Whitbine, Canterbury Whitbine and Mathon to be one and the same plant, but the Canterbury Golding is a bud sport from the Old Golding.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:23 am

That's great stuff, Eadweard, thanks for sharing!

Here are a few more relevant excerpts from historic brewing texts:
A Systematic Handbook of Practical Brewing, Second Edition, by E. R. Southby, M.R.C.S., F.C.S., 1885, London, England.

p. 231ff …Premising that it is as hopeless to expect to obtain the best return of Goldings from those gardens where clay composes an important constituent of the soil as it would be to plant Canterbury Grapes or Colegates on the sand and deep humus suitable for Goldings, we must not expect to obtain the same perfection of delicacy in quality in other varieties which the Golding hop combines with fulness of extract.

The early kind of hops--Meophams and Prolifics--possess a brilliancy which gives them a saleable value in spite of their general want of condition; on the other hand, those which come to maturity later in the year, including the Colegates, yield a harsh bitter, economical enough if mere bitterness were desirable, but which cannot compare with hops of the type of Goldings, whether produced in early, middle, or late season.

The Worcester hop, however, frequently equals the Golding in its finest properties especially during the earlier portion of the season, but it has not quite the same lasting properties as the latter, and is therefore more suitable for brewing up to the end of May, than during the summer months…

The judicious brewer who is desirous of extending his trade by giving his customers the best value compatible with a fair profit, must most carefully discriminate between the different qualities of hops, using those only which are best suited to each class of beer that he wishes to produce. To use the most delicate new hops for the production of black beers is a manifest absurdity; but it is quite possible, without going to such an extreme, to spend a large amount of money without any corresponding result. Long experience only can enable the brewer to carry this discriminating process to its greatest perfection…

"Dry hopping" is, therefore, the only means of securing the presence of these highly volatile matters, and without them it is impossible to obtain that delicacy of flavour so much admired in the Burton ale. But as the hops so introduced into the beer are not subjected to any process which can destroy the fermentative and other germs, it is not difficult to see what serious mischief may arise unless the greatest care is taken in their selection.

The hops used for "dry hopping" must be most carefully selected. A full but delicate aroma, thorough ripeness without excessive colour, and an absolute freedom from every trace of mildew or other disease, are essentially requisite.

In my opinion the only hops really suitable for "dry hopping" are the finer qualities of Goldings and Worcesters, at any rate for the highest classes of pale ales for home consumption, some brewers use the finest qualities of foreign hops, but I do not like the flavour they give to the beer when used in that way. An exception should, however, be made in the case of export ales, in which "dry hopping" with the finest Spalt hops is sometimes advisable…

The Dublin brewers "dry hop" some of their finest stouts, especially those intended for export. For this class of beer strength in the hop is of more importance than delicacy, and I am not prepared to say that those are wrong, who use a coarser and stronger hop than I have recommended for ales. Some of the finest qualities of foreign hop may I think be used with advantage in dry hopping export stouts…

… for stock ales the use of a certain proportion of fine Bavarians, or others of equal quality, is of great advantage. Ales brewed with these hops maintain a freshness of aroma even after long keeping, when if the finest Kent or Worcester hops only were used they would be deficient in this respect.

For the finest mild and strong ales, first-class hops must also be used, but for these ales mere colour is not of much importance, and as regards flavour, a somewhat less delicate hop than those used for pale ales is advisable.

If these ales are for stock, a considerable proportion of fine foreign hops may be used with advantage. Bavarians and other good and well flavoured continental hops are suitable for these ales, as are also Californians, and perhaps the finest quality of New York State hops, but ordinary Americans, even of a good class, give a coarse and peculiar flavour, which I think objectionable, although I am aware that all brewers do not agree with me on this point…

The light bitter and amber ales now so largely brewed for the family trade, require a fairly delicate hop of good quality, but as these ales are not kept in stock for any great length of time, strength is not of so much importance. For this reason I prefer English hops of fairly good quality and flavour, to foreign hops, for these light bitter and amber ales, but I am aware that all brewers do not agree with me on this point, but consider a small proportion of good foreign hops an improvement. If foreign hops are used for the above ales, the proportion should not exceed one-third, with two thirds of English, and the foreign hop must not be one characterised by excessive rankness.

When I speak of foreign hops I use the term in its ordinary acceptation as including Continental and American varieties. The hops grown in Australia and New Zealand have as yet been only occasional visitors to our shores, but if they can be imported at a moderate price, they will in the case of another hop famine, prove a great assistance to those brewers who require delicate hops in tiding over the period of scarcity. These Australian and New Zealand hops resemble English hops much more nearly than anything I have seen from any other country…

For the common qualities of mild ales and for porter, the brewer must use his own judgment as to the quality of hops he can afford to use. Old hops must often be used for these common beers, but I would impress upon brewers that they are always more suitable for black beers than for any description of ale. In black beers of all qualities a proportion of old hops certainly does no harm, and in my opinion is positively advantageous. Sound old foreign hops are very useful in these beers, and yearling foreign hops of all descriptions may be used with advantage. Even the coarsest American hops, provided they are sound, well-cured and of good strength, make good yearling hops for stouts and porter, and of course also all classes of Continental hops; but poor thin hops, wherever grown, are nearly useless for any purpose after the second year.
Here is an interesting 1911 report by a German expert, surprisingly complimentary of English and American hops:
"ON HOPS IN GENERAL" a paper by Kommerzienrath Berthold Bing, of Nuremberg, Germany,
presented at the Second International Brewers' Congress: held at Chicago, Illinois, USA, October 18-21, 1911.

p.257ff …It is perhaps not very remarkable that European hops are on the whole quite similar to one another, it is particularly undeniable that the Bohemian and Bavarian types, which have been cultivated for ages, remained fairly constant point of quality, fine aroma, structure of cone, throughout the centuries, and never denied their high descent…The English hops appear quite different from our continental types, but it should be stated that hop culture in England occupies a very high stage and very fine hops are there produced, possessing, however, an essentially different taste and aroma from our Bavarian, Bohemian, and other German products. The requirements for the more highly alcoholic beers as ale, stout and porter, are, of course quite different in point of taste. The American hops are different from our continental types in cone formation and particularly in taste and aroma. In Germany when the crop failed attempts were frequently made with American hops, but no one succeeded with American hops alone in producing a beer that answered the prevailing taste. It goes without saying that the American brewer being frequently dependent upon American hops has more experience in their use than the German brewer, for experience shows that in America excellent beers are made with the fine American hops, but they still have a different taste from our Bavarian and Bohemian beers.

The greater has become the expansion of the so called lager beer in America and the greater efforts have been made to faultless beers similar in taste to our famous Munich and Pilsen beers, the more have American brewers begun to use admixtures German and Bohemian hops for the finer grades, especially beers. By this mixing fine table beers have been developed can scarcely be distinguished in point of taste from our best brands and may confidently be placed side by side with our best beers…

On the other hand, for the reasons given, very little hops have been imported from America to Europe except England. Only England, which, as is well known, brews principally top-fermented beers differing essentially in taste from the German and Bohemian lager beers, is a considerable consumer of American hops…

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:47 am

I also posted these notes from when Peter Darby gave a talk on hop history:

http://edsbeer.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/b ... ps-in.html