Hop advice

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
gibbiem

Hop advice

Post by gibbiem » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:26 am

Having a clear out of my freezer so can get some new hops.

I've got 17g left of simcoe, columbus and amarillo. I made an extract brew that I'm currently drinking (not right now, its only 9.22 - I'll at least wait till 10) with these hops plus some left over chinook and its incredible. Originally I done 20g columbus and simcoe for the full boil so think I'll still go with 17g columbus for the full boil. Was then planning on adding the simcoe at 5 and steep the amarillo while cooling the wort.

Anyone else have a better idea? I like a big hop punch, like American IPA and nice and bitter. Cheers

This brew is AG using 5.17kg MO and 400g of crystal 120

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Hop advice

Post by seymour » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:13 am

Sorry none of us have responded. Did you end up brewing as suggested?

If not, here's another fun concept to consider:

When I've got a bunch of dual-purpose hops like those, and feel like taking a flyer, I just mix them all together in a bowl, throw a little in as first wort hops, then equal weights at 30 min, flame-out then steep until chilled, and maybe hold some back for dry-hopping. It may not be the easiest thing to recreate exactly, but it'll certainly be complex.

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:26 am

Alright mate. Yeah I brewed it, just finished carbing so going to open one tonight

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:38 pm

I bet it smells greah, eh?

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Not opened it yet, just got the little one down. Having a bottle of final frontier from to øl first. Very very decent

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:59 pm

Just opened, not too bad. Probably still needs a bit longer to carb. Not much body and hop flavour and aroma still quite mild. Think this is one for the shed for a good few weeks! Maybe its because of what I had before hand...